Another noobie needs help. Please Help.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
xfactornos

Another noobie needs help. Please Help.

Post by xfactornos »

Hello everyone,
I have read the tutorials on the main site but they really didn't answer the questions I have.
My aunt is wanting to setup a karaoke corner in her bar and I need help picking out hardware.

Everything will stay where installed meaning it doesn't need to be light or portable. This karaoke setup is for fun and will be ran by bar staff.

The audio quality doesn't need to be the best in the world, but I don't want it scratchy. I think she said she wants at least a 12" speaker.

The only thing I have is the software/songs and a laptop but I'm not sure how compatible it is (I haven't seen it.)

Based on what I have what else do I need? Remember we are not pro and don't need expert equipment. Where should I get the speaker and where should I get the mics, and what do I need to connect it to the computer?

We want this to be ran from the laptop.

Thanks for helping,
Matthew

cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Hi xfactornos
well your going to need a way to bring it all together(mixer) & an amp so to save cost you might want to look into a powered mixer(mixer & amp in one) at least 2 mic's for duets,xlr cables for the mic's and a 1/8" to 2 RCA plugs cable(to conect your laptop to the mixer) the later you can pick that up at radio shack. plugs into the headphone jack on your laptop, if you find that you are getting alot of noise from your laptop in the speakers you can get an usb audio interface( Behringer U-Control UCA202) works well and is only $30. Just one more note you might want to get at least 2 speakers as most tracks are stereo

As for were to buy any of the online stores Musican's Freind.com, Americanmusical.com or Zzounds.com all are good or check with you local music store. They may even have some used equipment you can pick up

I see Zzounds has a Nady PA system( Nady MPM4130/PA210) comes with 2-12' cabs, powered mixer(130 watts), a wirerless mic, cables and speaker stands for $379.95. But remember your not buying high Quality, this is bare bones bargin stuff. I think most on this forum would agree that we wouln't think of trying to do a show with this Equipment, but your doing more of a recreational than pro. show. The cost of that system would just about cover 1 of my unpowered mixers LOL!! Hope this helps!!
xfactornos

Post by xfactornos »

Yes thanks a lot, Im new to this and didn't know I needed a mixer. Thanks for your help. :D
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

For ease of use you want a mixer with built in effects(echo, delay or Reverb).
I disagree with having a powered mixer because if it goes down you're out both a mixer and an amplifier. Separate componants means you can switch out the broken part without losing the other.
xfactornos

Post by xfactornos »

Ok, What about this.
this as the PA system http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHPAPACK
and a Direct box http://www.zzounds.com/item--WHRIMP2 to connect it to the computer. Would that work ok?

at DanG2006
Could you put together a simple setup for me? like I just did above without the amp/mixer together.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Yoy wouldnt need the direct box. Not sure what your price range is but the Behringer set is far better than the nady set! Is there a reson you dont want amp and mixer together??
xfactornos

Post by xfactornos »

I actually do want it together less stuff to worry about. I was just wanting to see the price difference.

cowboydarryl
Are you sure I dont need a direct box? and is the system you picked out going to be ok for singing at the bar?
With the package you picked out how do I connect it to the computer? does it come with cables?

Thanks for your help
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Thats were the 1/8" plug to RCA cable comes in it plugs into the head phone jack on your computer and has 2 RCA plugs on the other end that plugs into the mixer Ps: I sent you a PM
xfactornos

Post by xfactornos »

I was looking at the mixer. Where would I plug the cables in. The tape in section? and where do I hook the speakers up. Tape out?

Thanks.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

The tape in is fine for the input there is probobly the outputs on the back for the speakers main out L main out R
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Your link is to a powered mixer which has an amp built in. This is usually what is referrred to as a mixer/amp.
the behringer is a better system than the nady by far.

One suggestion though. spend the money to get a better wireless setup. The dual mikes that they are selling with the system is very limited control wise. You want to be able to adjust the sound of each mike separately and these mikes are able to do that. I run a Samson stage series 5 which you can get on ebay between $50 and $89.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I just got a berhinger Eurorack Pro 1202fx mixer to go with my Soundtech PS800 Power amp, which is discontinued but has been replaced by the ps820
xfactornos

Post by xfactornos »

So your thinking I should get better mics? Is there any online store to get them from besides ebay. The mics are called Samson stage series 5?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Im learning a lot!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Hey xfactornos, a couple things for you. First, no direct box needed. Your computer will already provide a line level input (either the line out or headphone jack are suitable) for the mixer. You can either connect to the tape input as Darryl suggested or get a 1/8 inch to dual 1/4 inch Y (or also referred to as insert) cable and plug the left and right channels into two channels on the mixer. The tape input option might be better because you have a limited number of channels on the board. However, make sure that the input from tape can be sent to the main mix simultaneously with the inputs from the channels. Many mixers will only allow one or the other to main mix, not both.

For the microphones, definitely go with Dan's suggestion of getting a setup where you have seperate inputs for each microphone going into the mixer. This way if one singer is louder than the other you can adjust appropriately. Also allows you to mute one microphone while the other is in use rather than turning it off.

Now an even larger question, do you have a specific budget you're trying to meet or is this just a case of get me the cheapest system that will be adequate. You can definitely get nicer systems, this one would be very bare bones and not flexible. But obviously with better features comes a higher price tag. If you have a price range you're looking at or a spending limit, let us know and I"m sure we could spec out a pretty decent rig for you.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com