Second system decisions:Computer or discs?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

should i go computer or stick with my second set of discs?

computer
88%
Disc
13%

Total votes: 8

DanG2006

Second system decisions:Computer or discs?

Post by DanG2006 »

I am having to create a second system, not to be confused with my backup system for when I have someone fill in for me. My biggest decision is whether to run another computer setup or not. I want it to be as easy as it can be for my replacement to run the show without confusing her too much.
Once the poll ends I will weigh in with what I am going to do.

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

You didn't say if your current system is computer or disc based. I'm assuming computer based so I'd vote to keep it consistent. Why mix the two? I think the computer stuff is pretty easy to use, just give her good directions to follow for getting it up and running and she should do fine.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It all depends, is she a blond? :)
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Brunette. I don't think she is by any means dim witted. After all she did reckognize my talents and suggested I pursue a new show which I got. There is going to be a weekend that I am not going to be able to work due to a retreat that I am obligated to attend in Spetember. I intend on bringing my main player with me as well as my second sound system as I am not going to need my wireless where I am going to be. If I go computer I am definately going with an older laptop so I can at least have XP.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

First, last or thirteenth system, I would never go back to discs.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

well after consulting my website, I have made my decision before the poll is ended. I will be going computer because my website states that I am all digital so I can't go against that can I? Now it is a question of which software I am going to use. The choices are between Justkaraoke, RoxBox and AutoKDJ. Both JustKaraoke and Roxbox are straightforward in operation while AutoKDJ allows me to set how the rotation is handled taking it out of the host's hands. It also tells the host when they have run out of time for requests. Both RoxBox and AutoKDJ are frontends to winamp while JustKaraoke is a standalone player whose rotation is close to that of Compuhost, which is what I use on my main machine.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Should we be concerned with second computer system legalilty issues? :?

I was just informed that one of my replacements has 100,000 songs and I only had 11,000.

That's a whole lotta dupes that are being counted and recounted and counted again. :lol: Anyone with half a brain would be able to tell that there has to be some duplication of songs going on in that book.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Should we be concerned with second computer system legalilty issues? :?

I was just informed that one of my replacements has 100,000 songs and I only had 11,000.

That's a whole lotta dupes that are being counted and recounted and counted again. :lol: Anyone with half a brain would be able to tell that there has to be some duplication of songs going on in that book.
Absolutely. There are not 100,000 karaoke song titles in existence, even counting non English songs. I strive to possess every English karaoke song title available and believe I've come very close. Without any duplicate songs (same song by same artist) there are actually fewer than you might imagine. This is why I laugh when people boast that they have 50,000 songs, or even 40,000. It's just not possible without duplicates.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

The legality issues aren't an issue as long as you either: Purchase a second copy of each song, or ensure that only one system is in use at a time.

As far as which software to go with, I've been extremely happy with AutoKDJ. I tried RoxBox and had all sorts of trouble and just funny behavior with the multiple instances of WinAmp that it runs. AutoKDJ just works. The only issue I've ever had with it was actually a WinAmp problem where for some reason the playlist control got switched back to auto advance. Simple fix just uncheck the box and it was fine.

The one thing I'll say for AutoKDJ is that the setup is not as easy as some others only from the file naming standpoint. All the files have to be named a certain way and stored under a folder named Karaoke (although under that you can create any directory structure you want). After that it works great and the search feature is probably the best I've seen on any of the software I've tested.

Sorry for the rambling but those are my thoughts.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If I go to roxbox then I can encript the songs to drive. ANd I'll be able to tell whether she adds any songs or not because the file extensions won't match. yes it will play but I can delete the songs if I choose to.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

As far as your replacement i have them sit in a night and just watch what i do and then I let them run it with me there and then run it in a regular bar and explain it to the owner that they are new and i am only a few miles away. Just give me a call if there is problems
I personally think computer is alot easier to teach in a short period.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Why have a second system to only work on nights that the first system doesn't work? To be legal. The second system will need all the original discs just as the first because everyone knows the only reason you have a second system is to double up on nights the first one is already working on.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I want to encript the songs so they can't steal them from me and be able to play that. I am sort of giving away which software I am leaning towards as it is the only software I have licenses for that has this feature or i am going to lock out all the ports whcih means I can't leave my main player with the replacement because it needs the ports to get sound out as I have disabled the onboard soundcard. Easier to encript the songs to the drive. I intend to change out the drive the computer comes with to a big enough drive to place all my songs on (DJ and Karaoke).
What is going to happen is that I will be leaving my main sound system with the replacement while the second sound system is going with me on a retreat that I provide a system for every year (usually my disc set).This is the first year that I am elligable to attend myself as I just graduated from their classes.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

New laptop is on the way. had to get more ram as it did not have enough for my purposes.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Just got the laptop and found out that crucial does not know what they are talking about. They sell PC2700 ddr ram for a computer that runs PC2100 ddr ram.