Economic Decisions....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Economic Decisions....

Post by Bigdog »

Anyone that has read any of my posts knows where I stand with regards to anything holding up the start time of my karaoke shows. I.E. the big game or some other stupid TV event.

Tuesday was pretty dead.
Wednesday was really dead.

Now I know we are at the end of the month and everyone is probably broke.

There were more people at the bar last night for the hockey game than ended up coming to karaoke. That said the bar manager always pays me full money no matter what happens.

If we wait for the game to end (1 hour late starting)..full money.

If only 15 people show up all night...full money. I have even offered him to take some of the money back..many times....full money.

I'm about to say something I never thought I would ever say. :?

The current economic climate is really putting an obvious money crunch on these bars. ....I was actually glad to see that there were as many people eating and drinking during the hockey game. :shock: Since I'm always paid full money.

Some people left whenever they saw me setting up the equipment because they knew the karaoke show was going to start later. Now nobody said we would interrupt the game but maybe they thought that would happen.

Now for the something I never thought I would ever say...

The very survival of many (the majority) of these bars is going to hinge on the fact that they need to have as many people in the bar as possible at all times. And even if, like last night that means catering to the hockey crowd. :shock: ..especially whenever they out number the karaoke crowd, it may be a very necessary thing to do.....I can't believe that came from my lips..(my 2 typing fingers) :roll:

Now it's coming down to an act of "our" very survival. If the bar is forced to close...we both lose. And actually the entire area loses because then the taxes will go up because of the loss of taxes from the failed bar. I still can't believe I'm going to be happy about holding up a show for a (of all things) sporting event. Even though it isn't a playoff game.

I'm still not very happy about this and I still don't think it's right...but we are in uncharted waters and the worst could still be coming down the road. I hope not, but everything I have heard on TV in the last few weeks is not helping my hopes to raise.

There...I said it...I don't like it... and I'm not happy... but everyone is in this boat and if we want to save ourselves we all have to row.

I may go back to my old way of thinking if we survive this mess, but for now if it means how much $$$$$$ I'm going to take home with me.... :roll:

There are many peoples jobs on the line at this point in time. And as long as the singers will still come out and spend money....it's a good thing, but if they get mad and quit coming out then we (I) will have to evaluate the entire situation again. Nobody can afford to lose all of their income. I'm going to try to CO-EXIST with the sports fans....on slow nights.

I should add that on other nights they have let me start during the game. But there were people there for karaoke...too. So I guess I'm talking about balancing what's going to be best for everyone as far as making money goes.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Tonight was the 4th night (week) of a new job.

Now being it's the very last day of the month and everyone must be out of money....we had 4 singers and never reached 10 people in attendance total.

Since I do the same bar on Sunday and I left my equipment set up, I gave the bar owner a free night. Because it's very obvious that he didn't make all that much money tonight.

He said we'll make it up on a good night.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

If the bar wants you to wait until some game is over then wait with the understanding that you are there to work and if there is no work then you still get paid. It is not your fault that they want to watch a game or whatever that keeps you from doing you job. It's just like any other job, if you work at as a bank teller and no one comes to your window for the first 30 minutes or so you still get paid for sitting there and doing nothing. I would not give a break or give money back. You were asked to come do a job and if it's their fault that you can't do it you still get paid full price

Lone Wolf
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Both sports bars that have me wait for the games to end do pay me full money.

I worked for free last night because nobody was there. Not because of a game, probably because of the end of the month no money reason.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The last 2 weeks (end of the month) have been pretty dismal as far as the crowds go. And today was payday and it was way down. The bartenders were complaining about the entire day being slow. :(

Buckle your seat belts the ride is going to get worse. :shock: