How long is too long?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

How long is to long for a song?

over 4 minutes
No votes
over 5 minutes
25%
over 6 minutes
25%
over 7 minutes
No votes
over 8 minutes
50%

Total votes: 4

How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There are enough other songs to sing.

8 1/2 minutes of PBTDL that nobody can sing is torture for the audience. It's not like American Pie that everyone can sing along with.

I look at the people that want to do all the swearing songs they can, as someone I have to worry about as far as their behavior. Maybe it's just me.

They can pick other songs too.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

3 songs longer than American Pie.... :shock:

I heard them all last night....one guy sang two of them... :roll:

Stairway to ......

Hurricane..Dylan

One Bourbon...... :cry:

25 minutes of song.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I have to say it is not a time deal as it is what song it is, does the crowd like, it is it alot of intrumental is it just a bunch of screaming(which is what i hate the worst)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If the person really sucks 2 minutes is too long.. :lol:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You're being generous again. :wink:
Sabrina the Cat
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Bigdog wrote:Once the singing part is over I fade out the song. I don't care if there is 2 minutes of instrumental left.

Paradise BDL is too long only because I have only heard one couple in 16 years come close to sining it. I deleted it. It turns into 8 minutes of stumbling over the words and it ends up sounding like two people mumbling.
I do that on songs like Mary Janes Last dance where the instrumental is at the end, however on songs like Fade To Black where there's a long (2 minutes in this case) instrumental in the middle with vocals following, it's just not possible).

As far as removing songs from the book because I don't like them, never something I would do. My show is about what my singers like, not what I like. Good Bye Earl (Dixie Chicks) is a song I'd love to remove. It seems it's always sung by a group of women who just end up trying to yell out the words over each other with no musical quality whatsoever. Plus I hate the freakin' Dixie Chicks anyway. However, I'm not about to remove it from my library because just like Paradise By the Dashboard Lights, it is an extremely popular Karaoke tune. I'd look like a bafoon if I had to tell a guest that I didn't have either of those tunes. They're karaoke standards for crying out loud.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't care what someone thinks about songs that I don't have available.

They can spend $80,000 and put me out of business. The singers are the most important part of my business.

But no singer is going to dictate to me how I should run my show.

No singer is going to Hi-Jack my show by singing songs that are not family appropriate.

I delete songs that are not contribulatory to the high quailty of my show. And the way I feel a quality crowd should behave and act.

I do not have more than 3 microphones for "Group" sings. It turns into a song that the words can't be heard clearly because not everyone knows the song or they just want to scream with it. Noise is noise and doesn't help.

P by THDL very few people can sing without screwing it up and sounding like 8 1/2 minutes of noise.

My shows have survived very nicely without many popular songs that are not family appropriate. That is how it will continue to be. I decide the quality level of my show. Not the singers that have no financial interest in my business or survival.

There are many songs in my book I'm not happy to hear just because I don't like them. They are family appropriate and so they stay.

I have had bar owners complain about singers or the songs they sing. I have never listened to the bar owner. Everyone sings. If they don't like it they can make the people leave. It's not my job. My job is to let people sing. If they are there they sing, unless I determine for some reason like being too drunk or dropping my microphones.

I am completely in charge of my show, take me or leave me. But remember I do NOTHING to hurt the reputation of the bar or my business. I seem to think this is what is most important. Making money with the smallest chance/percentage for trouble for the entire crowd. Safety and fun all rolled into one. Not everyone may know or understand my reasoning.

Look at what goes on at the competitions shows. Who would you rather hire? I pick me. 8)