Getting started what do I need

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
cmonroe50

Getting started what do I need

Post by cmonroe50 »

I am completely computerized as far as my karaoke system goes and am really wanting to start a KJ business. My system right now just plugs right into a Video in and Audio in through my TV / Stereo surround. Sounds great. I have 3 wireless mics and a microphone mixer. If I decide to do shows at a bar or clients homes what do I need to be totaly mobile. Do I just need to buy one of these karaoke amplifier systems to make sure I come with everything and maybe a monitor or screen.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

A PA system that has a mixer, amplification, speakers, speaker stands, microphones...plus all the required cables. A table to put everything on. Rack boxes to mount everything. Various electronic componants to hook up bar TVs. Knowledge on how to run all the equipment to make everyone sound good. Song books, request slips, pencils. Back up computer and hard drives. Effects, compressor.
cmonroe50

Post by cmonroe50 »

Thanks that's good info. I was thinking of later on getting another computer that is just for the Karaoke. Just in case something happens. Right now it all works great but I can imagine if I was doing a show and the computer crashed. I am backed up right now but would want to have a back up plan. I was going to use my husbands Mac but it doesn't seem to have the S Video plug on it. My Sony Vaio is working really well once I figured it all out. I bought the microphone mixer and it had a USB plug but the music sounds like crap when I hook it up that way. I don't know why. I haven't been able to get any help from the Acesonic people regarding my problem. There Tech support is non existent and I don't think I will buy anything else from them. What is the best lower end system I could get. I have seen them for 799. all they way up to thousands.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Nothing CHEAP sounds good.

That said...how good to you want to be as a KJ? (1 to 10) Where are you?

You need to be committed to being a success. That means being able to compete with the "Bigdogs." Being a good KJ is being a business person that owns a service based company.

I started out with a $20,000 personal loan. That put me at the top of the hill. Today my investment in music only is $50,000. My system is about $20,000. Adding all of my business (office equipment) and a full size van, about $20,000 more...........

I never once worried about my ability to pay back the loan. I set a goal of making $2000 a month and I did that and more within the first year. I have never looked back.

Am I committed? Bigger is better. My investment in quality has more than paid for itself. You could pay this investment off in 2-3 years of steady work.

But you need to be very good at many things.

Using your equipment correctly.

People skills.

Selling yourself & your business. (Marketing & advertising)

Keeping and maintaining a quality reputation.

You could do this as cheap as possible. Don't expect much to come of it. I have seen the tomb stones of many dead cheap karaoke businesses in 16 years.

Small investments and no committment.

Now do an honest evaluation of yourself and your ability to stay in it for the long haul.

Most people think...What a great way to party every night. WRONG

Party on your days off. Work on your karaoke nights.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

"Party on your days off. Work on your karaoke nights."

So many KJ's don't get this. You're there to do a job. If you have a good time while doing it ... great! But it isn't a night to party.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Exactly...

Drinking isn't tolerated at your real job, is it? Usually it will get you fired.

Karaoke is your second real job, if you're not a jerk.
cmonroe50

Post by cmonroe50 »

Thanks for all your input. I am seriously wanting to start small like hired out for parties. I would then learn the ropes as I go along. I just had a good party myself and got people who said they would never get up and sing to sing. I have no problem filling in and singing myself. I love it. Drinking on the job is not an issue for me. What could i get started with for about a thousand dollar investment. What do you think of the Volc pro stuff
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

while most people will trash vocopro, I happen to like their mikes and mixeramplifiers. I own a corded mike I got in 1997 and other than replacing the cord to it, it has served me well. I also have an mixer/amplifier that I was using as my main amp untill I bought my Behringer mixer, which I love by the way. I now use it as backup in case my main system fails on me. Oh always have a backup plan. You never know when one of your pieces of equipment will crap out on you.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It was always my belief that if you are taking money from people to provide a service you should be reliable. That means you should be able to start and finish the job without complications or too much down time. Especially a wedding where thousands of dollars are at stake. And the possiblity of a lawsuit for damages. If they would say you ruined their reception.

Your reputation is based on your equipment and the quality of your show. And other numerous important things.