BigDog's Own Thread

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I can also name 150 that should go out of business.

Not being in my situation you are possibly not in a position to realize the damage these KJs have done and are still costing us as far as the amount of money we can make.

Poor quality "anything" is not worth as much as good quality. The more bad quality that is around the less value it maintains.

Look at the value of junk cars or abandoned houses compared to new ones.

So to with an over abundance of poor quality KJs. Bar owners think all karaoke shows are the same and therefore only worth $100-125-150 a night. Some want to pay even less. :shock:

I was looking for a new job several months ago. A singer recommended me to a bar owner. I guess they discussed my being available to play there. The singer told me the bar pays $150 for karaoke. That's the bar owners preceived value of a karaoke show regardless of the caliber of the show. That's all they feel it's worth.

Now ask yourself this...How did they arrive at that conclusion??? They obviously had other KJs there before and guess how much they must have charged??? Or they talked to other bar owners about the price they pay for karaoke. Regardless of how they came to this conclusion...it's wrong. But they have agreed that a KJ is only worth $150.

This does 2 things. Follow me on this.

1. What if the KJ is only worth $100 or less a night because he is the worst one around? Because he can't keep jobs. They are going to "Over pay" him by $50 or more than he himself has established as his worth.

2. They will be less inclined to hire a KJ that charges more than $150 because they will feel you are trying to rip them off.

So the crap KJ makes out and the quality KJ loses big time to a KJ that couldn't deliver in the first place. Because the bar owner has already "in their mind" determined every KJs worth.

This works out real well for the crap KJ. Now he thinks all of a sudden he's a $150 KJ, because that's what they have agreed to pay him. Then when he can't deliver the goods they stop having karaoke because "it didn't work." I have heard that line too many times.

Oh we tried karaoke here and it didn't work out. No you tried imitation karaoke that didn't work out.

It's real hard to convince them to try it again after they have been burnt. And to charge them more than they paid before.

We paid the KJ $150 a night. Yes and your point is????? You got screwed, don't take it out on me.

Guess what???? I tell the bar owner how much I work for. The bar owner doesn't tell me what "they" pay.

I do remember one that paid $75 years ago. I guess you're right, (your idea of) karaoke won't work in your bar. :roll: :lol:

So how do you compete in this atmosphere and their mind set???

A quality KJ has an up hill battle everytime.

cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

From his statement "most KJ,s on this post" is the part that I took offence. It was not directed at KJ's in his area. Also my intent was not to, not have him post. But it would be nice to at least, givin the fact that we are on this forum and taken the time to post,trade ideas ect. a little respect. Bottom line,a little less bite from the dog would be nice.
Sabrina59 wrote:
cowboydarryl wrote:So!! most of us on this forum wouldn't know a good show if it hit us in the face! Then you wonder why we think your a certain male organ!!!!! I would like to know what type of system you run that is so far superior to us lowly peasants! And judging from your posts on this site your personality seems so offensive that I cant believe you have any business!! I have replaced several KJ's with that attitude. I think many would agree that while you do have alot of experiance in the KJ business this forum would be better wihout your nasty,smug comments!!!!! People come here to get information, trade ideas ect. to improve, not get belittled! :wink:
Excellent! Another person posted in this thread!

Darryl, I felt a bit like you do when I first came to this forum. The words that came to mind were arrogant, pretentious, and others that weren't quite so nice. But after being here a while I decided to find out more about BigDog, hence this thread. I have found a man that does seem to have quite a personality underneath that gruff exterior. A man who knows his equipment and is dedicated to have the best show possible. Could he come across a little better? Oh hell yes! :lol:

I don't take his comments personally, even though I could. I expected to be attacked after sharing how hubby and I got started, and the equipment we started with. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't believe he is belittling those of us who do as much as we can to provide quality entertainment; but those who are looking to make a quick buck with inferior equipment. From the passion in your post I don't believe you fall into the latter.

BD has opened my eyes to an entirely different karaoke world. As I've stated before, he comes from a completely different world than I do. Some of his stories are incredibly different than what I have seen and experienced.

I, personally, would miss his presence in this forum. He does share a lot of good information, and starts some very interesting threads. He is a man who has a lot of passion and dedication; all wrapped up in that hard exterior. :P

Now, please don't take this wrong, Darryl. I'm not defending BD; he certainly doesn't need (and probably doesn't want) anyone to do that. I'm just sharing my opinion about the man.

I do appreciate that you posted in this thread. It was never my intention to have this thread just for BD and I.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Bigdog wrote:I can also name 150 that should go out of business.

Not being in my situation you are possibly not in a position to realize the damage these KJs have done and are still costing us as far as the amount of money we can make.

Poor quality "anything" is not worth as much as good quality. The more bad quality that is around the less value it maintains.

Look at the value of junk cars or abandoned houses compared to new ones.

So to with an over abundance of poor quality KJs. Bar owners think all karaoke shows are the same and therefore only worth $100-125-150 a night. Some want to pay even less. :shock:

I was looking for a new job several months ago. A singer recommended me to a bar owner. I guess they discussed my being available to play there. The singer told me the bar pays $150 for karaoke. That's the bar owners preceived value of a karaoke show regardless of the caliber of the show. That's all they feel it's worth.

Now ask yourself this...How did they arrive at that conclusion??? They obviously had other KJs there before and guess how much they must have charged??? Or they talked to other bar owners about the price they pay for karaoke. Regardless of how they came to this conclusion...it's wrong. But they have agreed that a KJ is only worth $150.

This does 2 things. Follow me on this.

1. What if the KJ is only worth $100 or less a night because he is the worst one around? Because he can't keep jobs. They are going to "Over pay" him by $50 or more than he himself has established as his worth.

2. They will be less inclined to hire a KJ that charges more than $150 because they will feel you are trying to rip them off.

So the crap KJ makes out and the quality KJ loses big time to a KJ that couldn't deliver in the first place. Because the bar owner has already "in their mind" determined every KJs worth.

This works out real well for the crap KJ. Now he thinks all of a sudden he's a $150 KJ, because that's what they have agreed to pay him. Then when he can't deliver the goods they stop having karaoke because "it didn't work." I have heard that line too many times.

Oh we tried karaoke here and it didn't work out. No you tried imitation karaoke that didn't work out.

It's real hard to convince them to try it again after they have been burnt. And to charge them more than they paid before.

We paid the KJ $150 a night. Yes and your point is????? You got screwed, don't take it out on me.

Guess what???? I tell the bar owner how much I work for. The bar owner doesn't tell me what "they" pay.

I do remember one that paid $75 years ago. I guess you're right, (your idea of) karaoke won't work in your bar. :roll: :lol:

So how do you compete in this atmosphere and their mind set???

A quality KJ has an up hill battle everytime.

Now this I have to agree!!
We have a KJ in our area that for the life of me how he can get any job is beyond me! Yet he has been in business for a long time,he is rude to the singers, rude to the bar help and his equipment always has probloms or is outdated. It comes down to price he plays cheap!! Case in point: I do a show in a small town on fri. nights (got this show when the bar owner saw us at a differint bar). The bar/grill less than a mile away wanted a wed. night karaoke show. that bar owner & his employee's come to my fri. night show. I talked to him told him my price & didn't hear anything back. I pass this bar on my way to my fri. show and see a sign" Karaoke Wed." HMMM who did they get? oh well. That lasted less than 2 months, all the employees voted and told the owner to hire us. Just did our first wed. there and had everyone thanking us for coming there. they had more fun and busness our first night than any night with the other KJ. As it turns out he was charging $50.00 less than us on a weeknight and somewhat to his credit the bar/grill owner was hesitent to ask us due to the close proximity to our fri. show (he didnt want to have a conflict with the fri.night bar owner) they asked my fri. bar owner and he had no problom so new wed show!
Every bar we go to we have impoved their business,the fri.night bar was a gost town at closing time, now we have to play" closing time" and heard them out. at our thur. show there was a Karaoke show less than a mile down the road, not anymore everyone started coming to our show so they quit doing it. First time I walked in on thur. to talk to the owner there was 3 people in the bar now its full till close. had a sat show we did turned that into a huge Karaoke night packed the place but the bar owner was an a$$ never happy. yet the people loved us! told him seeee yaaaa!!! now he is lucky to have 10 peolpe in the bar. It should be easy to see whos good,whos bad and pay acordingly not just a set fee. Im not trying to toot my own horn or say i'm the best, I just put alot of efort & $$ to make my shows fun. it would be nice to get payed accordinly
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Right...now given the choice..would you rather have competition that is at or near your level or what you have now?

Double edged sword.

I like the fact that my competition sucks... :oops: :shock:

I get more quality jobs.

But because they suck I can't get paid what I'm worth.

So if all KJs were at my level, we could all get paid more money.

Doesn't that make sense???

Thats my biggest bytch. That's why I say they are ruining everything about karaoke.

Upgrade and get paid more. Not too hard to understand the concept. If you make your show worth more, you are worth more.

Anyone out there hate making more money????
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My actual worth????

PRICELESS..... :mrgreen: : :lol:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

LOL I think we all knew that. :lol:
Sabrina the Cat
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Hey, BG ... I've got a question for you. :D

We all know you edit your songbook, but I'm curious; do you edit for foul language or content? There are some songs that have no foul language at all yet the content is a bit "adult".
Sabrina the Cat
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

cowboydarryl wrote:So!! most of us on this forum wouldn't know a good show if it hit us in the face! Then you wonder why we think your a certain male organ!!!!! I would like to know what type of system you run that is so far superior to us lowly peasants! And judging from your posts on this site your personality seems so offensive that I cant believe you have any business!! I have replaced several KJ's with that attitude. I think many would agree that while you do have alot of experiance in the KJ business this forum would be better wihout your nasty,smug comments!!!!! People come here to get information, trade ideas ect. to improve, not get belittled! :wink:
Speak for yourself, bro. Bigdog's one of the main reasons I joined this forum. I LIKE knowledgeable people with strong opinions.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Now boys ... let's all play nice. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Well Hopper, :heart:

I edit for both.

There was a very recent song titled RIOT by Three Days Grace.
After hearing it and studying the lyrics for 30 seconds I deleted it. :shock:

The chorus repeats in a loud scream type yell..."Let's Start A Riot" and it lathers & repeats many times.

The last thing I want are some jerk 21ers drunk screaming and listening to and possibly acting on the suggestiveness of what they imply and encourage. Like slam dancing or moshing. Seen it before.. :roll: Like a bunch of roosters in a cock fight.

Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't want to even try to see the type of reactions it could have. Now if my competition wants to do it... :bowto:

Almost (million views) :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_Z-EPSVaI

Enjoy.... :D
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

BD and I haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things. In fact he has knocked my latest thread about three times so far but I don't feel blittle by him. To each his own I say. What works for one might not work for others.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Moonrider wrote:
Speak for yourself, bro. Bigdog's one of the main reasons I joined this forum. I LIKE knowledgeable people with strong opinions.
Of all the "BAD" your words...KJs that you have replaced...how many had a system worth talking about? How many had your investment? How many knew how to run it right?

I have news for you, the number of crap KJs out there is about 99% from my personal experience and from what others on karaoke forum sites describe as "karaoke systems." Most "karaoke systems" sold on the same sites we buy our discs from, suck. Fender Passports suck.

You buy a PA system from music stores. Advertised "karaoke" systems are junk that is someone's "know nothing" opinion of an imitation karaoke system designed for stupid people that think they can be a "KJ" too.

If I sound too opinionated about it...I am. :shock: I hate the KJ impersonators (wannabes) that cost us all money. Make all KJs look bad and keep the idea of karaoke as a joke form of entertainment designed only for drunks to enjoy and make a$$es out of themsleves.

I take my karaoke business seriously. I like the very talented people that support me. I like hearing talented people night after night. I like seeing the nonsingers being impressed and coming back to listen night after night. They don't have to worry about troublemakers and 21ers drunk and acting like jerks.

This type of crowd only comes out because of the system I own and know how to run. The wannbes can't imagine a crowd with talent. Drunk jerks acting like kids is mainly their norm. Not mine.

I highly doubt that you are surrounded by tons of high caliber KJs. With top notch systems. They don't exist anywhere. Most are embarrasing. Count the good ones in your area on one hand with empty fingers left over..

I don't think your area is any different than mine. My cailber KJ is non existant.

So give me a count of the KJs you feel in your area have "great" systems. Not OK or good enough for karaoke. GREAT.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Dan...it's not personal...It doesn't matter who wrote the thread.

The kiosk idea might work if you have a real karaoke bar permanent set up. For a traveling KJ that works different rooms nightly it's pretty impractical. Not to mention expensive. But that still doesn't mean people will respect them. I have to clean my book covers every night from some sticky crap that was spilled either on them or the table they sat on.

Too much to go wrong. Books are "Crash" proof. And replacing a kiosk will never be cheaper that replacing a destroyed book.

I don't want my table to look like a bee hive surrounded with people all night. They always have drinks in their hands and like to wave them around. It makes me nervous and having no song books is an invitation for them to bug you all night long.

If I thought it was such a great idea I would do it. It's not because of the cost that I don't. It's the impracticality of it all. Song books are for idiots. Goof Proof, Not computers.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:Well Hopper, :heart:

I edit for both.

There was a very recent song titled RIOT by Three Days Grace.
After hearing it and studying the lyrics for 30 seconds I deleted it. :shock:

The chorus repeats in a loud scream type yell..."Let's Start A Riot" and it lathers & repeats many times.

The last thing I want are some jerk 21ers drunk screaming and listening to and possibly acting on the suggestiveness of what they imply and encourage. Like slam dancing or moshing. Seen it before.. :roll: Like a bunch of roosters in a cock fight.

Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't want to even try to see the type of reactions it could have. Now if my competition wants to do it... :bowto:

Almost (million views) :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_Z-EPSVaI

Enjoy.... :D
How about I Touch Myself or Buzz, Buzz. Both are done in a nice tone; no yelling. Neither have any foul language. Both are very suggestive.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I touch myself tooo :oops: lots.... :shock:

TMI :lol:

That song is in my book, but I would warn someone if kids were present.
I have some jokes I do with that song..... :oops:

I never heard buzz... :?: