Reasons for KJ bad behavior???

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Reasons for KJ bad behavior???

Post by Bigdog »

We have all seen and heard about many different "bad" behaviors perpetrated by not so good KJs.

Why do you think some KJs show favoritism toward their friends over and above other customers?

Ex. I went to a show (my first time there) right after I started in business. I sat there and watched everyone in the bar sing TWICE before I sang my first song. :shock: :shock: :evil:

Clearly this KJ showed favoritism toward the "regulars." I also know the owner was there and was a singer too. I went back a second night and deliberately sang a song I heard the owner sing. :twisted: And he made it a point to come over and tell me I sang his song. :shock: :shock: Up yours pal... :lol: :lol: This bar had karaoke 7 nights a week. Probably because the owner liked to sing. (Star Power)

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Why do they show favoritism? Because they can.

I would suggest they are not going to get many new folks to the show, though. Everyone knows you don't mess with the rotation.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

We know it's stupidity...

Is it Ego?

Is it a show of power?

Are they using it to give the appearance "illusion" of a loyal following? Meanwhile it drives away potential customers.

This does work whenever they show up at a new job and 10-15 singers follow them in. It impresses the naive bar owner. Boy they have a nice following ka-ching $$$$$.....In reality it means ......no new business will be coming in. Wonder why??? he's so popular.

I flat out tell all new bar owners...Do not expect a bus load of people to walk in behind me. :shock: We need to attract people that already have plans for this night to want to come here. It takes time to build a new steady karaoke night/crowd.

Bar owners need to carefully watch how their KJ treats "everyone." Make sure they are not taking care of their pals. And chasing away your new customers and their money.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Very true, but in the case you cited, the bar owner was aware, and okay, with the favoritism.

I, like most of us, have friends come to my show. They are treated just like everyone else. They wouldn't expect it any other way.

Like has been said, it will keep his regulars very happy. And probably the same holds true for people that his regulars may bring with them, but it isn't going to improve his business.
Sabrina the Cat
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog, we rarely feel the same about a lot of stuff but in this case I agree with everything you have said so far. I got into Karaoke because I felt I could do a better job than the ones already doing it. I have been to shows where the host used a "DJ" set style of playing the rotation which meant that unless your song fit into the set style you might see someone get up twice before you get one song. I swore that I would never allow anyone to sing twice before a new singer in the rotation. I treat newbies as if they are regulars so that they become regulars.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

DanG2006 wrote:I treat newbies as if they are regulars so that they become regulars.
I think this is the concept a lot of folks don't understand.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sabrina59 wrote:Very true, but in the case you cited, the bar owner was aware, and okay, with the favoritism.
I think you give him too much credit. :shock:

The KJ did have a fair rotation...for the regulars. Now whether the owner decided the rotation for new people or whether the KJ did...I don't know.

If the KJ did it that way from day one, the owner might have thought that was the way it's normally done.

In which case..the owner could have used the educational material from the Nationa Karaoke Organisation Against Bad KJs. Look pal...this jerks idea of a fair rotation is costing you money.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I made a presumtion that, since the owner was in the rotation as well, the owner had probably attended other karaoke shows prior to having one in his bar.

Following my presumption, the owner should know how a fair rotation works.

Since the owner was allowing this unfair rotation, the owner knew it was unfair and okay with it.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The only thing he was thinking about was singing...And He probably thought he was making money. Not as much as he could have been if jerko wasn't screwing away all the new business.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It only takes one time for a newbee to be a regular or not. :shock:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just saw a web site of a local KJ.

They advertise a $100 guarantee. For $100 you will sing next. :shock: :shock:

They also talk about their fair rotation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WRONG...I had the chance to work with them during a major area contest.
The song requests were put in a small cardboard box. Then they went through the slips and played them in the order they wanted them. I was floored. I assume it was to take care of certain people.

They have also done jobs using only one speaker. Out of laziness. My guess.

Some of the BS used by many KJs is simply unbelieveable. The biggest losers are the bar owners and other people that hire them.

An educated consumer.......is needed.

Ohhhh over 99,000 songs ALL 100% LEGAL... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:They advertise a $100 guarantee. For $100 you will sing next. :shock: :shock:

They also talk about their fair rotation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fair rotation yet $100 will get you up next?!?! Riiiiiggggghhhhtttt. :roll:
Sabrina the Cat