Recording Singers

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Sabrina59

Recording Singers

Post by Sabrina59 »

So how much trouble could I get into if I recorded singers, at their request, during a show? I'm thinking $5 for the CD, label and jewel case.

Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Without express permission from the disc manufacturer of each song that you record you would be committing piracy and subject to any and all civil and criminal penalties that the law allows.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Surely it's the song that's copyright, not the disc?

After all, how would anyone be able to prove that a karaoke system was used to generate the recording?

If the song is old enough (unlikely, I know), then there wouldn't be a problem with copyright.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

That's what I figured, but it never to hurts to ask.
Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Before you can reproduce the music off of a commercial karaoke disc you must have the permission of the disc manufacturer. Yes it would be difficult to prove where the music actually came from and it is very unlikely that you would be caught and prosecuted. You are still breaking the law and committing piracy.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

mnementh wrote:Surely it's the song that's copyright, not the disc?

After all, how would anyone be able to prove that a karaoke system was used to generate the recording?

If the song is old enough (unlikely, I know), then there wouldn't be a problem with copyright.

Each recording has multiple copyrights. There is the copyright of the original artistic work (the words, music, etc) but there is also a copyright on the recording itself. To make a new recording of an existing work you need license to cover both of these. Maybe it is hard to prove, but it is the law.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The karaoke manufacturer also has a copyright for the word sweep.

Could one give away the recording without being in volation?

I used a tape recorder years ago. The recording wouldn't come out right unless you made the live sound come out sounding bad.

I don't have the time to worry about making recordings during the show. It distracts from the show. And many times when people knew they were being recorded, if they screwed up during the song, they wanted to start over again. Taking up someone elses singing time.

Big time pain.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

As I've stated before, I've been recording all of my singers for about a year now. The difference is that I don't sell them and I don't make a cd. Any singer that comes to our show can visit our website the following day and listen to themselves for free.
it did take quite some time to get the right mix down to make a quality recording but we finally figured it out. I think it makes a huge difference and sets us apart from other local kj's.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Isn't that still a copyright violation?

How much does it cost per...to run a web site like that?

What about the server space for all the content?

How time consuming for you?
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

It probably doesn't make a difference, but I am talking about audio only. There would be no video. I would only be charging for the materials.

A friend of mine did this a couple of times at his show. It didn't seem to slow things down at all and the quality was actually pretty good.
Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

spotlightjr wrote:As I've stated before, I've been recording all of my singers for about a year now. The difference is that I don't sell them and I don't make a cd. Any singer that comes to our show can visit our website the following day and listen to themselves for free.
it did take quite some time to get the right mix down to make a quality recording but we finally figured it out. I think it makes a huge difference and sets us apart from other local kj's.
Make no mistake, what you are doing is illegal. I once did an extensive inquiry into the legality of playing just 30 second samples (audio only) of karaoke songs online to find that without the expressed permission of the karaoke song manufacturer(s) I would be in violation of copyright laws. It's very possible that you will one day find yourself involved in a lawsuit. Worth the risk?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sabrina59 wrote:It probably doesn't make a difference, but I am talking about audio only. There would be no video. I would only be charging for the materials.
You're right, it makes no difference.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Would it be legal if you had ASCAP/BMI licensing? Like a bar, since you are now technically the one benefitting from the music.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Would it be legal if you had ASCAP/BMI licensing? Like a bar, since you are now technically the one benefitting from the music.
These only give you a license to play the music but not to record or reproduce it.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Well, I must say I am glad I posted the question on here prior to spending the $250 for the unit to do this.

Thank you all for your comments. I got the answer I expected, not the one I wanted. :(
Sabrina the Cat