Question about "Starter packs"

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Moonrider

Question about "Starter packs"

Post by Moonrider »

I've been dredging through the forum for advice to startup KJs. There's lot of knowledge stored here for those who look!

Hopefully I'll be able to do my own independent thing in a month or so. Right now I'm looking for ways to make the most of the money I spend on music. I'd like to maximize diversity, and minimize duplicates on my initial purchases. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this will be welcome!

I'm shooting for 3 to 4 thousand songs before I start looking for jobs.

Illegal is NOT an option. I'm a singer/songwriter, and a firm believer that an artist deserves their royalties.

I've got a couple of questions on the "starter" sets offered by Chartbusters and Sound Choice.

1) Chartbusters offers nine "Essential 450" volumes. Are these essentially the same collection of songs with minor updates to add newer songs, or are they all completely unique collections?

2) Ditto for the Sound Choice "Foundation" and "Brick" series. Are the "bricks" unique collections?

Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Hi, Welcome. :D

Usually the site selling the packs lists the songs in them.

Even if you only bought all Sound Choice only or all Chartbuster only, they usually have dupe songs in them. As you said about repackaging them over and over.

I have the DKKaraoke original 99 disc set. If I bought the DK Millenium set for example, I would have 99% of the songs already with only a couple dozen one-of-a-kinds. They just repackaged the original set.

The way you end up with a lot of dupes is to buy from many different manufacturers. But if you want or need certain songs, that's going to happen.

I know of people that have been very selective when buying and they have kept the dupe rate relatively low.

I bought many 15 song discs to get one song. :shock: That's $18 per song. :shock:

It comes down to $ per song. You want to keep the average as low as possible. Right now I estimate songs to be about $1-2.50 each. I have laser songs that cost $4.50 each.

There are many sites that are closing out discs from defunct companies. CHEAP

The other option is buying custom discs, where you pick the songs on the disc. Some of these cost $4-5-6 each song. Gets a little expensive but watch the cost per song issue.

I have 21,000 songs and only 12,000 one-of-a-kind songs. Dupes are part of our life.

That cost me $50,000. That equals $4.20 per one-of-a-kind-song. Over $20,000 WASTED :shock:

Now we'll talk about the hundreds of songs I have that have never been sung. Never will be.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Both Chartbuster and Foundation and bricks are individual sets with zero dupes. The only way you'll get dupes is maybe if you buy both. You get more songs via Chartbuster than with the foundation but you might get better quality pop and rock songs from the foundation series.
KnoxvilleKaraoke

Post by KnoxvilleKaraoke »

I have 8 of the 9 Chartbuster Essentials and they do not have dupes. Like Dan said however, you will better pop and rock from Soundchoice but Chartbuster is really good for country.
"If we were good we would be in Nashville."
"Let's Have some fun!"
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I started buying discs long before starter packs. Since I have most of the songs already...I buy individuals discs.

Is every Sound Choice disc included in one of the packs?

You can not buy the starter pack discs seperately. So have they repackaged their regular discs?

If so.... then there are 2 sets of Sound Choice discs. The original 8000 series and the repackaged 8000 series....the Starter packs.

If you buy both you then have dupes... :lol: So you need to buy one or the other. The problem we all have with buying discs.

DUPES happen...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sound Choice has a bunch of different disc series with many different numbers and name designations.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The Foundations are compilations of what they thought were essential songs for KJs to have in their setup as a starting point. Pretty good reasoning but they failed to add another package that included more modern songs which I believe Chartbuster has addressed with their packs. The best all around set is actually the Supercore series as they mix classic hits with modern tunes. They revamp their set every year. They just don't have a lot of songs - less than one Foundation or Chartbuster essential set.
all 9 of the essentials is a pretty good start with over 4000 songs compared with two 450 sets fo Foundations and 5 bricks of 8 discs each which comes to a grand total of 1500 songs.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Buy from Ebay.

There are shedloads of CDG discs on it and they're almost always rated as "New".

Over here, I can easily get 10 CD's for £20, about $30 U.S. at present exchange rate, so worst scenarion is 150 tracks at about 13.5p or 20 cents each.

At that rate, who cares about dupes? :D

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DK Millenium series is about 1800 songs.