New program might make books obsolete for Compuhost users

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Now we know what Danny G looks like! :P

What are the last two columns?

Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Click on the picture it will enlarge. They are the disc and track numbers.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

No, they're not. :P

I did click on the picture to enlarge it. The disc number is the first column, the track number is the second column. I just can't read what is in the third and fourth columns.

ETA: Okay ... I just pulled my trusty magnifying glass out. The last column is the date added. But the third I can't make out. Maybe it's a numbering system, something like what CAVS uses?
Sabrina the Cat
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The third is the assigned numbers from Compuhost. I actually don't use any of the numbers to find the songs in Compuhost but people can mark them down if they want.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

just added another screen shot so you can see what the singers see if they are looking through their singer history.

http://www.freewebs.com/dannygkaraoke/apps/photos/
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Sabrina59 wrote:Now we know what Danny G looks like! :P

What are the last two columns?
It is an old picture of me. :lol:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Now we know what Danny G looked like!! :P :P

I do like that "last sung" column. Sometimes it's hard to remember the last time you sang a song and I don't like to repeat too often.
Sabrina the Cat
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I still somedays look like that when I can afford the barber. I'm getting to that point now.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Now we know what Danny G looks like sometimes. :P :P :P

You're really making this difficult! :surrender:
Sabrina the Cat
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

Here's a stand-alone karaoke kiosk demo video...

http://dkusa.com/video/songfinder.wmv
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If I put out 10 books, I can have 10 people looking at the same time. People like to take their time and browse the book. With over 12,000 songs that's a lot of browsing.

They need something to act as a coaster and a napkin for their drinks. They need slips to doodle on.

It looks state of the art and maybe even makes you look more professional because of the high tech aspect. But it will never replace my books. Not even if it was as cheap as a book.

A book can sit at the table and be shared by 5 people. You each have to make a trip to the kiosk. Lots of unnecessary people walking around.

They have no respect for song books. How do you think they feel about the kiosk? We want everything fast. No waiting in lines. There is no personal interaction with the singers and the KJ. The singers may as well be down the street.

My song book has a calender in it to advertise my other jobs. Or they can take it home or discuss it with their friends. My song book has my business card in it.

Kiosk :billyclub:

:bowto: :read:
searcherone

Post by searcherone »

Bigdog, you are right the kiosk can't replace a songbook, but it can replace the unreadable slips. If set up and used properly it can enhance the experience. I work in a resort area and host 30-40 singers in an average night. My kiosk eliminates duplicates, and a lot of confusion. I can misplace a slip, I can always read the Singer, BookID, and song title, and they can't enter a song I don't have. :redface:

The average singer takes less than a minute to sign up the first time they use it and I rarely have more than three people in the line. I have cut back from 25 books to 10 in three of our locations. I don't hand out calenders or cards because very few of the people are from my area. I still get tips and compliments on how I run my show. My kiosk is set up near the stage so I can keep an eye out for the one or two people that have trouble and give them assistance.

My partner and I have been using a kiosk system for the past 4 months and we don't want to go back to slips again.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I use a laptop and at least 10 times a night I have people change their song.

I insert new people in my rotation and I have people that may be outside or unavailable when it's their turn to sing.

How is all of this handled? Can they change their song on the kiosk? How do you know a new singer from an old one? What happens if they enter more than one song at a time?

It still lacks pesonal interaction. I don't like waiting in a line for anything. I'm sure most singers feel the same.

Slips for every singer lets me know if I have skipped anyone because they haven't turned in another song. I try to keep the same spot for each singer every rotation.
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

Bigdog wrote:I use a laptop and at least 10 times a night I have people change their song.

I insert new people in my rotation and I have people that may be outside or unavailable when it's their turn to sing.

How is all of this handled? Can they change their song on the kiosk? How do you know a new singer from an old one? What happens if they enter more than one song at a time?

It still lacks pesonal interaction. I don't like waiting in a line for anything. I'm sure most singers feel the same.

Slips for every singer lets me know if I have skipped anyone because they haven't turned in another song. I try to keep the same spot for each singer every rotation.
Well, I can't answer for searchone, but I can tell you this:

Can they change their song on the kiosk?
Yeah. Just as simple as filling out another song slip and asking you to switch them. Just enter a new song and tell the host you want to switch... and there's some personal interaction isn't there?

How do you know a new singer from an old one?
We force them to enter their last initial so there is no confusion. You might have 3 people named "Mike" but not 3 that are "Mike G." Plus, the software tags each request with the time that they put it in. So if there are 2 people that enter the same song (Crazy - Patsy Cline) you can tell immediately who entered it first.

What happens if they enter more than one song at a time?
Then you still have them all.... nicely organized by the time they sent them in. It's like having an electronic version of a stack of song slips on your table. You put them in your play list one at a time. Some users will walk up and quickly enter 4 songs... just like handing you 4 slips.

Here is where you're anticipating the worse case senario that really doesn't happen. Many KJ's immediately think there's gonna be a huge line of pissed off people waiting to put in a song and some slowpoke taking their sweet time. I can tell you with 4 years of experience, this doesn't happen. As a matter of fact, once you show the first person how to use it, they will gladly help the next person --maybe they like showing the other person what they know, but in any case, you have a built-in tech support team. And besides, you can always show them yourself and that's LOTS of personal interaction.

Slips for every singer lets me know if I have skipped anyone because they haven't turned in another song.
Your hosting software should be able to show you a list of who's been up to determine if someone hasn't turned in a song. What I do is put the person in the lineup anyway with a song I use as a "marker" to hold their place. (I use "like a virgin" by madonna) this way, if their name is coming up and I see that song, I know they didn't turn one in and I can then approach them. (more personal interaction)

Although you didn't mention it specifically I can answer this one ahead of time: YES, you CAN browse the electronic songbook and NO, people will not stand in front of it for a long time browsing while making others wait.

CLICK HERE TO SEE A PIC OF MINE

The software I use is here: Karaoke Songfinder
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

My apologies to the admins on the site.... I did not see the announcement in this section about video files.... (if it helps, it is a link to my personal web space and not stealing bandwith from anyone)