KJs That Call Themselves DJ.....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

KJs That Call Themselves DJ.....

Post by Bigdog »

Maybe it's just me, but this really bugs me. :evil:

The ad says come to karaoke with DJ "BOB".... :?:

Does that mean you don't do karaoke?

Does that mean you are more committed to DJing than karaoke?

Are you ashamed to be a KJ?

DJ "Bob" is misleading and untrue.

Unless your show contains more DJ music than karaoke music.

Does it mean you were a DJ and started doing karaoke as a sideline so you could make some money?

I question anyones committment level to doing quality karaoke that calls themselves a "DJ." :sorry:

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I agree I advertise myself as a KJ first. DJing is an addon that I added after I got started. When I started all I cared about was Karaoke but as it became obvious to me that just karaoke wasn't gonna bring in enough business as most private parties wanted DJ and no karaoke I added DJ music to my system and got a second CD player to handle mixing the two.
Does this mean my commitment to karaoke is gone since I added it on - a resounding NO. I still would rather do a straight karaoke show over a DJ gig even though the DJ gig brings in more money.

While I do DJ, my company name is Danny G's Karaoke not DJ Danny G.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

In some areas where the KJ vernacular has not caught on karaoke hosts, even those who do not play DJ music, refer to themselves as a Karaoke DJ. My entertainment is worded as "Karaoke & DJ". I did karaoke only for years before I added DJ.
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

My initials ARE DJ. So I guess I'm KJ DJ, or DJ DJ, Karaoke DJ DJ . . .

Oh, just call me Johnson. . .

:evil:
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Moonrider wrote:Oh, just call me a Johnson. . .

:evil:
:yikes:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I started a karaoke business because of my new found love of karaoke. I also figured that karaoke alone would not work at parties and weddings, so I did buy a collection of CDs..about 300 many of which were greatest hits of many artists.

My intenetion was not to use these as a substitute for lack of singers at my all karaoke music show. The cd music was to be able to provide dance sets at parties and wedding. In the early days karaoke songs weren't considered "music." Especially music to dance to. And many dance songs were not on karaoke yet.

I have a severe lack of interest in doing parties and weddings now. This happened mainly after I started using the laptops for karaoke. I don't have any CD music loaded on them. I don't want it or see a need for it now.

I am a KJ and proud of it. I never wanted to be known as DJ Bigdog. Sounds stupid for an all karaoke show. I sometimes get refered to as Mr. DJ or the karaoke DJ by many people who might think that it is one in the same. I don't.

The same holds true for KJs/DJs that refer to themselves by musical genre names. Like Punk Rock Bob or Country Bob. If I saw an advertisment for such I would expect Punk Rock Bob to be playing or specializing in Punk Rock music. I might not be so inclined to even venture into the place because of the perceived musical selection and crowd dressed in Punk Rock atire slam dancing and moshing. If I hated Punk Rock and that whole scene I would stay far away. Even though there may be nothing of the sort actually taking place there. It's what the name suggests that quickly turned me off.

The name suggests certain visions in ones head. Whether they are right or wrong. So it could be a bad advertising ploy or gimmick or nick name.

Like a biker that calls himself "Wildman." I would expect him to act like one or be crazy like one.

Advertising is a funny beast by nature and there are strong predjudices and preconceieved ideas that can be generated and passed on from the wrong wordage. It's all in the name. If you do mainly karaoke sorry, you're not DJ or Punk Rock Bob. :roll:

Today with more and more KJs/DJs turning to computers to run their shows....there is no disc or record "spinning" anymore. DJ (Disc Jockey) will fade from our memory and the word will someday be forgotten.

KJ (Karaoke Jockey) will remain in fashion because there is no actual reference to spinning anything. KJ...a person that facilitates karaoke by suppling the music and means for people to sing along with words on a TV screen. (My definition)

Someday DJ Bob doing karaoke will not make sense. .....DJ???? What's that????

My Great Grand Father was a DJ... :lol:
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

It means that DJ Tony is a nickname I was given when I did radio work and so it just stuck when I started this Karaoke business.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com