The MOST popular software for karaoke is....

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
C. Staley

The MOST popular software for karaoke is....

Post by C. Staley »

Okay, we've all heard of Hoster, Compuhost, Tricerasoft, Sax & Dotty, Power Karaoke etc....

What is your guess of which of these programs has the MOST sales for use by KJ's for HOSTING SHOWS???

Tricerasoft was out first, followed by hoster and then the others.

MY GUESS:
I would've originally thought it would be hoster, however it seems like they've dropped way back in line with all the problems I hear they have with Vista and their newest versions that keep blowing up the minute they release them. A dead giveaway of this drop in sales would be the fire sale they are now offering on ALL their software packages to attempt to bolster their position.

I would have to say that IMHO; Compuhost is probably kicking their butt...

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

None of the above.

Winamp plus plugins is free and easy to use.

If I HAD to use a bought package, it'd probably be Sax 'n Dotty's although I detest their PC linked software mode of operation.

Sandy
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I would say Compuhost is probably the biggest seller of the high cost softwares with Karma coming in second. Of the cheaper costing, I would give that to AutoKDJ since you can't get much cheaper than free. S&D is a good starter package for hosting software but there are other winamp frontends that are better and more complex in operation. RoxBox blows S&D away with being able to handle both karaoke and filler.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I don't think there's any compiled data on exactly which is the most popular karaoke hosting software but you can be sure that Hoster will be near the top of the list. MTU is not having a "fire sale". They have a "summer sale" every year that last for only a few weeks. I don't know where you got the notion that Hoster versions "keep blowing up the minute they release them" as I have been using this software for years and find it to be very stable.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Popular with KJs or people that think they are KJs?

Are most of the programs sold to people for their house or actual working KJs?

Then it would depend on which features those KJs want or need.

The most popular by total sales may not tell the entire story.

Just as big of an issue would be song book programs. With the size of most KJs libraries, any song book program that only uses a 2 column format is going to be left behind.
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

wiseguy wrote:I don't think there's any compiled data on exactly which is the most popular karaoke hosting software but you can be sure that Hoster will be near the top of the list. MTU is not having a "fire sale". They have a "summer sale" every year that last for only a few weeks. I don't know where you got the notion that Hoster versions "keep blowing up the minute they release them" as I have been using this software for years and find it to be very stable.
You might have an older and therefore, stable version of hoster that you're using, but my understanding is that their forum is riddled with complaints of bugs, lagging and basically you name it problems with just about any version above 4.0
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

C. Staley wrote:You might have an older and therefore, stable version of hoster that you're using, but my understanding is that their forum is riddled with complaints of bugs, lagging and basically you name it problems with just about any version above 4.0
I keep updated to the latest version. Although any major software upgrade will typically have a few minor bugs that are missed by the programmers the majority of the problems are reported by people who are just not that computer literate and are failing to meet the software's requirements. This is high end software and you can't run it on an old outdated laptop.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

Other than RoxBox, what other software works off test search and not numbers? I've only used RoxBox and so far I like it.

Mark
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Compuhost has search as you type abilities as well as specific type of searches. So does Hoster from what I remember. I never got to use hoster in a show experience. I actually like Compuhost as it does not force you to use a prepriotory file system to use their database as Hoster does. Whilie it will play mp3+G zipped files, you can't search them like you can the songs in your database. You gotta know exactly where that particular file is before using it. with the database all you gotaa do is call the song up in the search engine and it finds it for you.
mikey

Post by mikey »

AutoKDJ does search as you type. And everything else that the paid programs do. One difference - AutoKDJ does it better.

I'm not affiliated with them, just trying to help out a brudda...
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I wouldn't say better. most of the paid programs that are standalone allow for slow pokes getting up to the stage. AutoKDJ relies on winamp which is a PITA in starting the song over if a singer is late getting to the mike. It also relies on pacemaker which in my opinion is a poor excuse for a key changer.
Freddieoke

Post by Freddieoke »

i've been using the same software for 15 years and am now going to Compuhost it has the best bells and whistles, the only downfall is you only get 2 serieals and has to be activated on the internet like windows OS.