Slips and Pencils...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Slips and Pencils...

Post by Bigdog »

Trying to keep an organized order to things...I have a zipper pouch in my song book that contains the slips and pencils.

This is the first thing seen when you open the cover of the song book. Next comes the rules and rotation explanation and warning about abusing the equipment.

Last night I had several different new singers. Most of them came up and asked for song slips. :x They apparently are not seeing the pouch. It's BRIGHT ORANGE. This tells me that they don't start at the beginning of the book.

Now comes the questions. :lol:

If you are at a new show as a singer, do you start at the beginning of the book to look for slips and pencils?

Do you look for any rules or instructions?

Would putting the pouch and rules in the middle of the book (so the book actually falls open to them) work better? Since experienced singers know the artists they are looking for and don't look A-Z. Plus being in the middle they would surely come across the pouch and instructions. Since not everyone is singing ABBA or ZZ TOP. :lol:

Do you have many singers asking for slips and pencils, when you know the pouches are full?

Are they asking to sorta let you know they are here and new? Looking for some attention?

How many are just lazy and want you to do all the work when they come up and ask you if you have So & So?

I've seen new singers raid other song books for more slips instead of asking me for more. Making several song books slipless. :evil: Compounding the situation.

Any suggestions? I don't want to be bugged all night by keeping everything within arms reach of me.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Most hosts in my area put their latest songs in an update list at the front of the books. If I am going to a show I always look at the front of the book first to see if what I am looking for is in the update section. If I don't find it there then I look at the main list. So I would have a hard time at your show missing the orange pouch.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

All my books have slips and pencils in the front in a pouch pretty much like you have. I also include a container (plastic) with extra slips, pencils, eye glasses, magnifying glass, business cards, etc. It usually helps the ones who dont notice the slips and pencils in the books
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

That is not a very common practice around here. Most of the KJ's have the slips and pencils located by the books; so when you go to get a book, you can also pick up a pencil and slips.

I think your idea of putting the pouch in the middle of the book is a good idea. It would certainly be more noticeable.
Sabrina the Cat
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

My books all have pockets in the front (bult into the binder) that hold the pens and slips. However, BD you mentioned people being lazy and not filling out slips, I personally don't mind it and actually encourage it. I mean I've got this cool computer hosting software with search as you type capabilities, why make them look through a book if they already know what they want to sing and I can look it up in like 3 seconds. Everyone's got their own preference on this and that's fine, but for me I don't mind it and don't consider it laziness.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

They are not finding the slips and pencils in the books. They find their song and then they ask me for a slip and pencil.

Unless you just got here from Mars....most people should know there are slips and pencils in the books .....somehwere. Look around before you assume I'm an idiot that doesn't provide slips and pencils.

I agree it's faster for me to type in a few words to do a search.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Certainly, in my experience, virtually no one starts at the front of a book.

They all look for the song(s) they already do and just look to see if the KJ actually has it (them).

Usually, pens and slips are left beside the books and I put my "Do's & Don't" info on the front cover to at least have a chance of being looked at!

sandy
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

They better start at the front of my book, or they'll miss the latest additions. I also have a sign posted with the books explaining where the slips and pens are ("IN THE BOOK") but they still grab the extras I have laying out for the singers who bring their own discs.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]