Configure LapTop For CompuHost

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
jr2423

Configure LapTop For CompuHost

Post by jr2423 »

This is addressed to those of you who would consider themselves accomplished users of this program (or at least have some experience in the following problem areas).

My LapTop is a DELL Inspiron with Vista and 2GB Ram. It's 1.5 years old and I just took it out of the box to use it for my show. Now I've been running into a few snags as I have started to use CompuHost.

First uploading a CDG using CDGRip can take anywhere from 15 - 17 minutes. Is this right? At this rate it will take five to six weeks at eight hours per day to rip 1K disks. I have tried the 24X and optimum ripping speed settings with no appreciable difference in rip time.

I should note that all my USB connections go through a powered USB hub. And my computer keeps telling me (on start-up) that I will get faster operation if I connect to a USB 2.0 port. All the ports on my computer are USB 2.0. Could this Hub be the culprit? I rip directly to an external hard drive that connects through the Hub.

Another question I've asked on another board but received relatively little knowledgeable response is, how do I use the external graphics feature (or at least set it up). I want to use this for bringing the graphics from my CDG player when I have to play a customer's disc. I bought an interface (DVD Maker) which is supposed to bring graphics into the computer. When I activate CompuHost's External graphics button, I end up looking at myself through my on-board camera. I switch the graphics capture device in CompuHost to the DVD Maker and I get a black screen eight out of ten times. The other two times I somehow get the output graphics I'm supposed to get from the external CDG player, but based on the previous eight times I don't know how I get them.

I'm really beginning to think I have some computer configuration issues I need to address before I go any further.

So, I welcome your input.

JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Sounds like the hub is 1.1 complient and not 2.0. try connecting your usb drive into the usb port in your computer.
try disabling the camera. You don't need it to run shows with anyway.
To avoid confusion between my external sound card I disabled my internal so that only the external works.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

DanG2006 wrote:Sounds like the hub is 1.1 complient and not 2.0. try connecting your usb drive into the usb port in your computer.
try disabling the camera. You don't need it to run shows with anyway.
To avoid confusion between my external sound card I disabled my internal so that only the external works.
Thanks for the input Dan. Yes, I just changed the hub to a 2.0. It does seem to be uploading a bit faster but I'd have to time it with a stop watch to confirm that. I will check the instructions on how to disable the camera and the onboard sound card as well.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

I asked this on another forum but didn't get a response there yet. And just incase ther is someone who might know I'll ask here as well..

I know each disc will be slightly different depending on the length of its songs, but how long (on average) has it taken any of you who use CDG Ripper to upload one disc? And, at what speed and bit rate are you doing it?

Currently I'm uploading at CDG Ripper's recommended settings of Compressed MP3+G and 192 Kb/sec. At this setting it takes me approximately 15-17 minutes for one disc. I am also uploading from my laptop's CD/DVD Drive.

I'm thinking that two possibilities for the long upload time are either the Upload settings, or the drive.

Any thoughts?
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

15 to 17 isn't really that long. the faster the drive the faster the rip.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

DanG2006 wrote:15 to 17 isn't really that long. the faster the drive the faster the rip.
Yes, I'm thinking that I have to look up the specs on my current drive and research which drives are faster. Right now Plextor comes to mind.

Thanks again Dan :)
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Keep in mind that on some drives, Plextor especially, The faster you rip the poorer the quality of the rip. Also keeep in mind that while in the past Plextor had the majority of CD+G capable drives, they have now become the one with the least compatability especially on thier lower priced models.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

DanG2006 wrote:Keep in mind that on some drives, Plextor especially, The faster you rip the poorer the quality of the rip.
Yes I read that in the manual. With the exception of trying one disc @24x, for comparison purposes, I have used the "Optimum" setting form the rest. No difference in uploading speed noted.
DanG2006 wrote:...Also keep in mind that while in the past Plextor had the majority of CD+G capable drives, they have now become the one with the least compatibility especially on their lower priced models.
Oh really!!?? I wasn't aware of that. So which manufacturer (do you think) is now the one with the most compatibility? I was planning on testing my friends external CD drive (Next Star I believe it is) he uses to upload to his CAVS JB-199. He says he uploads faster than I do but I'm not sure what bit rate or transfer speed he's set to.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The good news is that CDGRip works with most drives out there, almost as many as Powerkaraoke does. I own both programs and when there is a disc I can't get ripped on CDGrip, I turn to PowerKaraoke becuase of it's better compatabilities with drives, especially the mediacloq discs.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

When it comes to ripping speed your computer's processor has as much to do with it as the drive and software. Also, external USB drives are typically going to be much slower than internal drives.

On the computer I use for this purpose (Pentium IV 3.2 GHz with a 52/24/52 PlexWriter) it takes about 17 seconds to rip a four minute song to an MP3+G with Power CD+G Burner. So we're talking under three minutes to rip a ten song disc. I then transfer the files to my laptop.

Nearly all modern Sony drives are CD+G compatible.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

wiseguy wrote:17 seconds to rip a four minute song to an MP3+G with Power CD+G Burner. So we're talking under three minutes to rip a ten song disc. I then transfer the files to my laptop.
Now that's an upload speed I can tolerate. May I ask what file format you're uploading to; as well as the speed (i.e.1X, 24X, etc...)

So does PowerKaraoke or Power CD+G Burner output produce files compatible with CompuHost and CDGRip? Currently I'm uploading to a compressed (zipped) MP3+G file format; only because that's what the program recommends.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Yes it will rip to .zip files. One warning though you might need to get MP3+GToolZ to rename the songs as the only way to name the songs is via cddb which doesn't have all the discs that exist.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

My CD drive is rated at 52X read speed and I set Power CD+G burner to MAX read speed. I rip to zipped MP3+G files.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

wiseguy wrote:My CD drive is rated at 52X read speed and I set Power CD+G burner to MAX read speed. I rip to zipped MP3+G files.
And your finished file quality doesn't degrade as a result?
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
[email protected]
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

jr2423 wrote:And your finished file quality doesn't degrade as a result?
I get perfect quality with virtually every rip. If you combine a fast processor with a fast data transfer rate (internal CD drive) you can successfully rip at high speeds.