How important are these additional peripherals? tube mic pre

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
myau

How important are these additional peripherals? tube mic pre

Post by myau »

I just decided on and purchased a Yamaha Stagepas 500 for my home system instead of a Carvin powered mixer and Mackie speakers..I decided portability might be handy but I hope I didn't sacrifice too much sound clarity. Any comments?

Anyways..on to my question:

How important are these additional peripherals to my setup for live karaoke?

tube mic preamp (guessing not too much help)
Aphex Aural Exicter ?
digital reverb unit (Stagepas has limited control)
EQ equipment?

Any worth getting or something else not on the list?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't think you need to add anything. It has all you need for home use. Did you get the free speaker stands?

What about microphones?
myau

Post by myau »

Oh so none of these would make a significant difference? Yes, it's for home but I want to make the vocals sound as professional as possible. Yep they threw in 2 free speaker stands..I might have to buy an adapter to mount them.

I'm using my old 2 shure sm58.. I kind of wish I could go wireless but they were more expensive than I realized.

Any comments on the stagepas versus a different setup? It's not too late to cancel my order because they just told me that they are on backorder for stagepas until next week. I think the power is enough for the space but I'm more concerned with the clarity of sound.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I agree with Bigdog, the Yamaha Stagepas 500 should provide you with a great sounding home system without the need for any of those extras.

The only advantage of wireless mics is the absence of the cord. Disadvantages include the possibility of interference. Wired mics are typically fine for home systems and the only type that I would use for recording.

Just about everyone here could recommend a set of components that they personally would prefer but that would just serve to confuse you.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The advantage of the stagepass is more than portability. It has onboard compression as well.
myau

Post by myau »

DanG2006 wrote:The advantage of the stagepass is more than portability. It has onboard compression as well.
Yes that was another selling point for me.. I think the stagepas 300 doesn't have it so I went with the 500. Although the compression control just looks like a simple on/off switch so not sure how you control the ratio/attack/release parameters.

It also has 2 knobs for EQ high and low, although I don't quite understand that either because I'm more used to digital EQ with 10 or so freqs

I'll play around with it when it arrives in a couple weeks
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

2 knobs for EQ would be highs on or off, lows on or off.