Karma Karaoke Manager

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
mnementh

Karma Karaoke Manager

Post by mnementh »

Hi all.

Has anyone tried the new (ish) karaoke software from Latrshaw Systems, yet?

Called Karma Karaoke Manager and my first look suggests that it's pretty good.

Good, if a bit "busy" screen layout, using a system that they claim will NOT allow you to overlap panels and lose sight of what's going on.

I haven't tried it with a twin monitor setup, yet but there seems to be a simple "click this check box" system that automatically switches the lyric screen to your second monitor. When I clicked it without a 2nd monitor, it immediately recocknised this and flagged an error message. Otherwise, the lyric screen comes up in the top right hand corner of the screen and as per usual, double clicking it switches between window and full screen and back again.

It has a "Remember singers" function and a fair selection of options, including tone controls, faders, tempo, key, etc.

I only have a couple of niggles with it, these being the Black screen setup, that users apparently asked for and a lack of user definable buttons, like Sax & Dotty's to play short audio files, applause, announcements, etc. I, personally, find the all black layout annoying and I have to peer at it all the time to see the writing.

I emailed Latshaw and asked about this and they said there were no plans to offer a "skins" capability but the user buttons might be implemented at a later version.

Overall, I'd give it a good 8 out of 10.

Sandy

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

it is also being sold as PCDJ KJPro on the PCDJ site.
My experience with Latshaw is that while he has great products his people skills need honing a bit more. You were lucky you got a decent answer for your suggestion. Imade one for Karaoke file manager and he took my lisences to all the programs away. Granted he had given them to me for nothing because I praised his products anytime they were metioned on a forum so no loss just the programs. I personally like Fast Tracks over Songlist Generator anyway due to size of font issues when I tried using three columns.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I haven't tried out the program. It has an amateurish appearance to me. The black GUI is another reason I have not considered this software.

From Dan's experience, this isn't someone I'd want to deal with anyway.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:I haven't tried out the program. It has an amateurish appearance to me. The black GUI is another reason I have not considered this software.

Apparently, the black GUI was down to requests from KJ's, who didn't want screen glare.

I notice that Tricerasoft's FREE karaoke player (Trikaraoke), also has a black screen layout.

As to the amateurish appearance, that surprises me, as I thought it was well crafted and fairly logically set out.

I've actually contacted Latshaw on more than this occasion and received nothing but good information and courtesy from them.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess!!!

Sandy
Bobble

Post by Bobble »

wiseguy wrote:I haven't tried out the program. It has an amateurish appearance to me. The black GUI is another reason I have not considered this software.

Well, the new 2010 version came out yesterday and it addresses that issue. You can totally customize the colors now and load and save "skins". It actually comes with a few sample color schemes to choose from if you don't want to take the time to set the colors for the dozens of items one by one.

There's dozens of other great new features that might want to make you reconsider looking at it again.

http://www.latshawsystems.com/ProductDetails_Karma.aspx

Yeah, once or twice a year someone is a real jerk to Bob, and in turn Bob is a jerk back, and then there's a rant on the forums about it. In every case, it's always one of those people who expects their ass to be kissed and they're extremely dissappointed when it's not. If you're looking to vent your life's frustrations on Latshaw's tech support, I don't suggest it. They're in the business of engineering software and providing support, and that's all I expect them to do and have been extremely happy with them and their products. But if you don't buy a product just because the company won't take your crap, well, I think you need to think about why you expect people to take your crap in the first place. Yeah, most businesses use the "customer is always right" approach, and unfortunately some people actually start to believe that, which in turn makes them assholes. Think about it. If you need tech support, how in God's name can you expect them to treat you like you're always right when the odds are that you probably did something wrong. Yes, sometimes it's actually nothing you did and it might be a bug in the program, but trying to make a company help you by brute force and verbal abuse is ridiculous. If you're smart, you'll buy products because they're good products. If you're just shopping for the best ass kisser, then you really need a shrink.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Totally impressed with the speed of Latshaw's response to an email I sent recently, exactly about the lack of "skins", etc. I'm not claiming that it was solely MY email that prompted the change but at least, it was noted and replied to.

I wonder if some of the other KJ producers would be as willing to do the same.

Basically, it does what it says on the tine and does the job with no fuss and pretty much all the bells and whistles a KJ could wish for.

I've had nothing but excellent service from Latshaw Systems.

EDIT:
Just downloaded and fired up the new version, to have a look.

Even more impressed as they have also implemented my other request, Re. sax and Dotty's "special effects" buttons that allow users to play backing audio files, applause, etc. Only disappointment on a very quick first glance is that they haven't done this as buttons but through the Menu system but still better than ignoring the idea. Definitely an upgrade for my system.

Edit #2
Helps if the monitor you're using isn't so knackered that everything is pretty dark, even set at max brightness!!! :oops:

The buttons are, in fact blatantly obvious at the bottom of the screen.

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

All I did was suggest something and I guess he took it as a demand rather than a suggestion. It was a suggestion that was eventually implimented. I wasn't the only one treated badly over the same suggestion. At the time I was looking at switching to autokdj but because of their naming conventions I wasn't able to do so.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Dan, I have no doubt that everything you are saying is true. You have never been anything but helpful and respectful in all your posts here. On the other hand, the mere attitude displayed in Bobble's last post just reeks of "real jerk". Does he always speak of himself in the third person?

I recall back in 2005 when Bobble offered the members of this forum a free activation code for his Song List Creator 2.2. The activation code was bogus and several attempted emails to Bobble about this received no reply. Perhaps he though that I too was wanting my ass kissed. :roll: