Amp size and Auto Tune

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
enzoab

Amp size and Auto Tune

Post by enzoab »

Hi Members,

I’m going to retire in Feb, 2010 from my day job. I’ve been a DJ for many years, although I’ve been out of the mix since the early ‘90’s. I’m starting to do the KJ thing and I like it a lot better than being a stand alone DJ. I like the interaction with the people much better.

I’m wondering, what are the rules of thumb regarding the amount of watts (amp size) in regards to room size? You now, small, medium and large restaurant, and then into small gymnasiums, etc.

I’m currently using a 300 watt head with two Peavey PR15; which I can supplement with a pair of old school Peavey’s with one - 12, one - 8, and 3 piezos. I’ve tested the system in a 18 x 30 room and it sounded really strong but, I’m just looking to research before I run with this system.

Oh, anyone have any thoughts regarding the Auto Tune system? Either the hardware or software versions; how it works live, pros and cons

Mark

Moonrider

Re: Amp size and Auto Tune

Post by Moonrider »

enzoab wrote: I’m wondering, what are the rules of thumb regarding the amount of watts (amp size) in regards to room size? You now, small, medium and large restaurant, and then into small gymnasiums, etc.

I’m currently using a 300 watt head with two Peavey PR15; which I can supplement with a pair of old school Peavey’s with one - 12, one - 8, and 3 piezos. I’ve tested the system in a 18 x 30 room and it sounded really strong but, I’m just looking to research before I run with this system.
I generally go with at least 1000 watts even in the smallest rooms. I'm firmly of the opinion that there's no such thing as having too much power. You can always turn down an overpowered system without hurting anything, but once an underpowered system runs out of headroom, it only takes a few seconds to blow a speaker.
enzoab wrote:Oh, anyone have any thoughts regarding the Auto Tune system? Either the hardware or software versions; how it works live, pros and cons.
Mark
Auto tune? On karaoke vocals? :shock:
That's something I haven't even thought of! Might be an interesting experiment to try, especially on some of the singers that don't even get close to on key.

Considering it tunes to the nearest note to the input pitch, it just might make things even worse. Hilariously so . . . . :twisted:

hmmmmm.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

Thx Moon rider. I'm going to give the Auto Tune a try, I can use it in the studio anyway... Much like a harminizor, or any effect for that matter, you can use it a little or a lot so, practice and time will tell. I'm thinking that I can use it when things get real painful! :shock: And in case anybody wants to do the T-Pain effect or sound like Michael Jackson, it might help. many are trying to sing Michael right now, to interesting affect, without the effects! :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Big is better. 300 watts just doesn't sound close to being big enough. I'm pushing 700 per side. karaoke usually isn't played in major areas. Bars are around 300 and smaller people capacity. I don't have any problems filling rooms with sound.

The amplifer size depends on the speaker size. Too little power can ruin a speaker just as too much power.

Auto Tune....I think people would be real mad when they found out about it. I wouldn't. If a real good singer found out they might THINK this is where it gets messy, think of it as an insult to their ability or talent. I don't think it's worth it.

That said, I have a real good sound system, that I know how to use. It attracts a different talent level of singer. So off key singing is a minor minor issue for me. This eliminates the need for auto tune. A better quality system did it.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

Thx Bigdog. I suppose I'll just have to use the system at a few smaller gigs and try her out. As far as Auto Tune goes, I wouldn't use it without offering it first, that's for sure. The last gig I did, I guess I was on because I got a huge amount of very, very poor singers to come up. All well and good but, I think it might be an interesting test to see if that tech will get more too come up? In any event, I can use it in my home studio any way.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

Hi,

I looked into that as well. The more I worked with it, the more I went out and saw other working KJ's (I'm not out yet) and the more I looked into ease of use and not pissing off singers, in a general sence, I'm not going to go this route. Better I spend the money on more lightening, songs, etc., than try to make people sound better. They will sing in any event.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have never seen karaoke shows that are mobile that do lighting. I don't use lighting and I really don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't use auto tune either.

As far as the sound system. Singers can't whisper a song. They need the music and the vocals loud. Let that be your guide.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

Thx for the input. I've found that a bit of lighting, I mount them to the top of each speaker, really help add to the show. Most of the places I'm playing have fluorescent lightening, terrible, or a few under powered pocket lights.

I do agree with you, to a point, about volume. I've been to a few shows where, I thought it was stupid loud. To me, it certanly didn't seem to be bringing more people up to the mic.... As far as Auto Tune, I agree, don't bother.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I have the mindset that too loud is better than not loud enough. In fact, whenever I have been asked to reduce the volume to below what I consider an acceptable minimum I flat out refused. I would not even consider performing at any venue with an under powered system.

I have played around with autotune and consider it to be just another audio effect. It will absolutely NOT make a bad singer sound good.

I never use any type of stage lighting when performing karaoke.