INFO ON RECHARGEABLE VHF WIRELESS MICS

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
neorican

Post by neorican »

I am looking for a dual rechargeable wireless vhf mic-- are these systems as good as the 9v mics?

I don't know much about what to look for in specs - except n/s ratio and several of thes eunits don't even show - VOCO PRO FOR EXAMPLE-

I have seen some that look ok with s/n of 60 , for about a little over $100 but my SAMSON unit 9V unit is 100db s/n.

Is there a rechargeable one with S/N of 100 or more ?

I can't even find the voco pro rechargeable s/n specs anywhere.

Some advice on this subject would really be appreciated--

I will be using this at home in conjunction with singing and playing piano and located never more than 40 ft from the receiver

Thanks,,,Ralph

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My biggest concern would be with the quality of the microphone before worring about power supplies.

2 cordless rechargeable microphones for $100 with the receiver? Equals 2 $25 microphones.
neorican

Post by neorican »

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply --- I have found others for more money and I am willing to pay more ( UP to $200 ) VHF only but what I am most concerned about are the specs - What do I look for - Is it S/N or what - Again , I am only looking to use it indoors about 40feet-

Using wires is a mess , and the frequent changing of BATTERIES is kind of a pain -- I learned from talking to SAMSON ( 5h is my unit ) that quality starts to go downhill when the battery is halfway down in the medium stage -- It is for the reasons above that I would really like the rechargeable--

I know that I can get price deals on mikes , but I think that the key is the specs --- I only need VHF and most mics in that category are not too expensive ( I think ) .

So , I hope that you can give me an idea of what I should look for in specs--

Once again, I sincerely appreciate your reply and I hope that I can get more help.

My biggest concern would be with the quality of the microphone before worring about power supplies.

2 cordless rechargeable microphones for $100 with the receiver? Equals 2 $25 microphones.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I don't like rechargable mikes had one and one side of the charger/receiver burned out on me. Never again. I'm more likely to get rechargable batteries from a site that sells the best type than to get recharable mikes again. Although I am afraid I might forget to recharge them once and show up at a show with dead mikes.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Normal batteries gradually lose power.

Rechargeables maintain a high power level longer and then suddenly drop dead.

Shure doesn't recommend using rechagreable batteries. Most manufactureres don't.
DJ Robby K

Post by DJ Robby K »

I highly recommend that you skip VHF mics altogether and look into the AKG UHF Pro Flexx handheld mic systems. The mic runs on a single AA battery for 30 hours and the mic sound magnificent. As for rechargeable batteries, I would skip that route. Instead, go to eBay and type into their search engine: 100 AA Duracell Energizer
You can get a ton of batteries like this at less than $40 shipped to your door and save tons of money. If you don't want 100, change the number to 50. Simple, effective, and a huge money-saver! Oh...and the UHF vs VHF? Some buildings are built in such a way that your wireless VHF signal will "cut out". Whereas, a UHF Mic operates at a much higher and cleaner frequency. Now, a new law went into effect, which states that certain UHF mics can not be used due to area interference with other consumer products. You may want to Google for info on that topic. The bright aside is, most police are not going into Karaoke bars or parties to examine UHF mic frequencies. But again, check online for further info.
neorican

Post by neorican »

Hi DJ ROBBY K

Thanks for your kind comment

I think that you are right about going for straight DOUBLE batteries-- I am only going to use this for singing and playing back up piano in My home and recording-- maybe just a few people will use it. The room is about 20x 25 and i will be about 30 ft from the receiver--WIRES are much too messy .
I have noticed that the specs are better for UHF and the cost differential is not that much.
But I do need 2 mics -- The AKG is kind of complicated in getting the right one --- Is This the mic that you are recommending? AKG UHF Pro Flexx

I have noticed that the VOCO PRO UHF 3200 Is controlled by double A batteries ( not rechargeable ) and the specs are sort of similar to the AKG-- I can get a dual mic system voco pro 3200 for about $180 and one AKG costs the same-- I am told that the batteries will last 9 hours- Is that true ? -- For my purpose, Would the VP be just as good ?

Thanks,,,,Ralph
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

the AKG microphone is a better mike, not just in performance but in battery life as well. The only thing VocoPro made that was any good and durable was a wired mike. I have one that I have had since 1997 and it is still a workhorse.
DJ Robby K

Post by DJ Robby K »

Hello Ralph!

You said: "I think that you are right about going for straight DOUBLE batteries".
The mics that I use, reuire just ONE AA battery, not two. I know there are various handhelds that require two AA batteries, but I have never used them. I love that I can get 30 hours of "airtime" out of an AKG Pro Fless UHF Wireless system. Actrually, I use 2 AKG Pro Flexx systems. I love 'em and so does my audience.
As for your debate of Voco Pro vs AKG? I will suggest that you spend the extra $$$ on AKG. I have been in the overall music business for over 25 years. There is NOT a better wireless mic (that I have heard) for under $250. With the AKG, you get the very best of sound quality, combined with incredible battery life. In live performance, I have yet to see any wireless system that can match it, much less out-perform it. I can only sopeak from MY personal experiences...and then do my best to offer any info that can benefit others, such as you, my new friend Ralph!
neorican

Post by neorican »

Hi DJ Robby,

Thanks again for your kind reply--

I clearly see your point about the AKG, but since my use is kind of basic; just at home with a piano ( need 2 mics ) , would I really notice a big sound difference-- Essentially , Is it worth double the price of $200 each-- for my
use ? -- I do realize that in a hall or audience facility all the factors of a great mic is essential as you so well know-

What do you think that I could actually hear in sound quality that is better on The AKG FLEXX vs. The UHF VOCO PRO 3200 - considering my specific conditions!

Sincerely,,,Ralph

To Dan : Thank you for your reply too--

Your comment about the VOCO PRO seems to relate more to durability than to it's quality, I think -- Since I will be using it a lot less than you , Do you think that I would be satisfied with the VOCO PRO UHF 3200 DUAL MIC system which is half the price of a AKG --

I did learn that The VOCO PRO S/N noise ratio is 105 db which is exactly th same as the AKG WMS PRO FLEXX--

Sincerely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ralph
DJ Robby K

Post by DJ Robby K »

Ralph,

When I tried Voco Pro wireless mics 2 years ago, I did not like the sound quality and returned the system. I cannot claim to be knowledgeable of the sound of various Voco Pro products. All I can say for sure is that, if your mic sound (whether it be for your piano or voice) is real important to you, then AKG is definitely the better way to go. Or let's look at it another way. If you want to do any recording OR crowd-entertaining using wireless mics, then sound quality can be vital.
But if you are talking about a situation where it's just you playing a piano and singing...just for yourself, then perhaps Voco Pro would be fine.
Also, I would advise that you do not buy mics that you have to recharge like a cordless home phone. I mean, what if you wanna play or sing...and suddenly your mic is dead? Now you have to put it (or them) on a charger for...hours?
I hate the wait. I even puchased additional batteries and for my cell phone. If one battery goes dead, I put in a different one. And while I sleep, I charge one battery.
One last point: Another reason why I suggest AKG UHF mics so strongly is...they are very afforable now. They sound great and a single AA battery lasts 30+plus hours. Why not spend a little more on the AKG and have a great product? Why save a hundred bucks in the moment, but then live with an inferior-quality mic...for years?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Believe me from experience, I had one mike go on me, battery wise during a two hour gig midway through the gig and I charged them before that show. Also with rechargables you have to have a set charging schedule list to keep track of whether the mikes are charged or not. Better to go with the AKG's with the single AA battery than have to constantly wonder if you charged the mike or not.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I would just mirror what DJ Robby K has already said. VocoPro mics are mediocre quality suitable for most home users. Rechargeables are never the way to go. AKG mics have always been my favorite and are the only ones I'll use.