Karaoke Competition

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
zack0753

Karaoke Competition

Post by zack0753 »

Hello. Im new to the site. I am a fan of Karaoke. I enjoy it alot. I am not a KJ but I know a few people who are. I would like to host a Karaoke contest. Neither the KJ or I have any knowledge on hosting and running a contest. Did anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

My advice, and I believe that other KJ's here will agree, is:

Just Don't Do It!

They always turn out badly.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Why do you want to help them kill their business?

They do not produce the results that you would think.

They chase business away.

They cause hard feelings.

You will be accused of rigging the contest.

Nobody will be happy about the person who won, except the winner.

Your dog will bite you.

The second the prize money is gone, the bar will look exactly like it did before the contest, and maybe even less crowded. Meaning that there will be no new customers that frequent the bar.

Karaoke contestants generally are karaoke whores (gypsies) that just travel from contest to contest. They have no intension of becoming regulars at any bar.

So tell me now .....where I can sign up.....??????
OnTheMicDJs

Post by OnTheMicDJs »

To quote a wiseguy..."Don't do it!"
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I personally have never run a contest but Up here it is big because they do it for The North Dakota Winter Show Concert opening act and the winner there gets to go to WEFEST and that is where the finals are.

One contest i was at you had to pick two songs you could do and one out of a hat. The one out of the hat was fun songs you more than likely know and would never sing.

It was like a 8 week deal and it did draw a good crowd because if you were one of the three semi-finalist you had to come back for the last 3 weeks and then it was up to the crowd so you wanted to bring your fans in.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I'm with Wiseguy on this one: DON'T DO IT.

While it brings in new blood they are only there for the duration of the contest. When it's over they are gone and you're left with pissed off regulars that didn't get their fair share of singing during the contest.
zack0753

Post by zack0753 »

I was thinking just a one night event with a nice sizeable prize. just for kicks. Something like a fundraiser. Im nervous now... :(
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Be afraid....be very afraid....

First you will have to find totally honest judges. That know what they are hearing. That means they have extensive musical knowledge or actually play instruments or sing in bands.

Second, your friend better not win unless they are actually the best talent present and even then, get ready for a war.

Get ready for the regulars to get mad because it's cutting into their singing time. Some of your regulars will enter the contest just so they can sing more during the night. Taking up room of some of the serious singers.

The judging better be fair and you better be able to prove it.

How can you give a big prize and still have money left for charity???

Nobody enters a karaoke contest "just for kicks." They want the money and the bragging rights.

Be prepared to see people from all over the area (miles away...out of towners) that live to enter contests. And then the bar owner will want a "local" to win the money. NO way is that fair.

You have a contest and the best person wins, period. I don't care if they flew in from outer space.

Most of the time it turns into a beauty contest. If it comes down to a fat chick that sings like a bird or a skinny good looking half talent...guess who wins????? 99% of the time..You wanted to have a contest..now run it fairly.

I have seen judges threatened...

I have been accused of rigging a contest, which was the farthest thing from the truth. It's to be taken very seriously by everyone involved.

I have seen people not return for 6 months because they were mad about the outcome.

The question is... can your KJ friend/bar owner stand to lose singers and paying customers over a stupid contest?????

Are you prepared for all the possibilities..??????
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

a 1 night contest isn't going to work.. the bar i worked at for 3 years held a contest every weekend for 2 years. 3 days a week of competition. NO matter how hard i tried or the bar tried.. and no matter how i changed the judging it ALMOST always came out unfairly.

you'd be surprised what people will do when there is prizes or money on the line.

NOW i do know of a contest which will keep customers coming back. But it has to be ran long term and has nothing to do with the quality of singers, which is a bonus.

It's a progressive pot. Starting at $50 bucks and going up 25 dollars every show. you have a holding bucket with the numbers 1 - 100 in it. Every singer gets a number on the first song they sing. picked randomly from another pile, at the end of the night you pick a number out of the holding bucket and if someone has that number they win the pot if not then it carries over to the next show where $25 is added.
I've seen teh prizes get over $5000 and it is fair enough.

but as for a singing contest just don't see it working, sorry.

Marlena
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Another fair contest is a mystery song contest where someone tries to figure out what the mysery song is, decided before the start of the contest. Like Marlena's contest the pot increased each week the song has not been sung. Each week a new clue is posted.
I won $250 doing this. To be fair, no one who has won was allowed to play again.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you want to build a nice bar crowd. Do something that everyone in the bar has an equal chance at winning. Why just the singers?

Like everyone coming in, in the first hour (say between 9 & 10 PM) gets a ticket. Sorry, No tickets after 10. But the prize isn't given away until 12. You could make it later on the weekends. Get them to come early and stay late. Make them stay and spend money.

No hard feeling, no judges, no regular singers get displaced by out-of-town ringers. Nobody calls "You" names.

Isn't that the reason for your being there, to help build business. The contest could somehow be music related. Or the prizes could have a musical theme.

Get the bar owner to split the cost of karaoke T-shirts. Put his name and yours on them. Who will benfit more from evertyone in town wearing your t-shirt?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Great idea. :idea: :idea: :idea: ..I might just do that... :D
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I like the ideas coming in to this forum I might have to try some of them and of course write back to let you know how well they work