Rap Lyrics

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Rap Lyrics

Post by Bigdog »

Today on Att.net the REV Al Sharpton is fired up about companies that promote off color language and use of the "N" word."

I remember many years ago when I would come to Buffalo, we dreamed of days of black empowerment," Sharpton said. "Now we have to make sure the conduct of our black citizens complements that achievement. We cannot undermine them with the conduct of killing each other, selling drugs to each other and really celebrating a culture of depravity and decadence."

Even the blacks don't like some of the rap music lyrical content.

Back to the issue of a censored song books.

This type of music and others with unnecesary swearing and heavy sexual content are going to be less and less tolorated by the general public. And it doesn't matter if they are 21 and in a bar.

Degrading anyone with bad language and other forms of disrespect are not in style or popular. :cry:

Adjust your shows to reflect higher moral standards. You will be more widely accepted and in turn more employed. :wink:

It doesn't matter what you or a handful of ignorant customers want. The general public sees no need for it "in public."

I would rather have my crowds respect me for being a decent, caring, nonconfrontational or controversial person than someone that let's anything and everything go on at there shows, because some jerks think it's cute or funny. Without regard for upset feelings or embarrasing or humiliating someone for the sake of "entertainment." If that's the only way you can get work as a KJ then I feel sorry for you and your unsuspecting throngs.

My 2 cents.

Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Bigdog.. We've Been There and Done That... So Here's A Suggestion... BUILD A BRIDGE & Get over it!!!

I Really Don't Want to See This Thread Started Up Again, So if there is Anything That Wiseguy can do to stop it. that would be fantastic.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Yes Bigdog, how long are you gonna continue beating this dead horse?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Stick your heads in the sand if you want to...but the situation is not going to get any better. How can it be a dead horse when the public is making it a big issue? Read the writing on the wall. It's still here and it is making more noise in the news. The public is becoming less tolerant about music lyrical content. Just like they are feeling about athletes/sportsmanship and hero worship/role models.

It's front page in every newspaper and every TV news channel.

They are tired of the drugs and unlawful behavior exhibited by people that are in the public eye.

Last time I checked KJs, DJs & bands are in the public eye. You are an entertainer. Even if it's just on a local level. Your behavior is being watched. You may not know it or think so. People are are talking about you and your shows. Good or bad they talk. Do you want to be respected for your shows? You should. I know I want to be talked about favorably and respected for what "I" am responsible for putting out in the public.

I just heard from a singer tonight that went to karaoke at another bar, (not one of mine.) He was shocked at the format. He said it was pretty wild. Lots of swearing and screaming drunks. Not what he is use to or expected. He was not impressed and he will not go back.

I have one bar that has a few openly gay males in attendance. The same guy told me he heard that Thursday was gay night at the bar I do on Thursdays.

Point being: 5 gay guys makes the entire bar gay night. Does it really? No ....But in somebody's opinion...it's gay night.

So it doesn't take a lot of swearing and rowdy behavior for people to say that your karaokes are out of control? No....

I can not do anything about the gays to change the publics preceived gay bar reputation. But I can do something about the swearing and rowdyness reputation. I don't have it.

I suspect the very shortly all the karaoke disc companies will start to edit their songs to fit in with the presumed public norm.

Most of the companies already sell edited versions. Some singers just feel obligated to insert their own bad language. I do have many singers that even bleep themselves when they sing certain songs. They don't feel comfortable about broadcasting them.

Swearing and disrespect at karaoke is not going to be gaining in popularity. And it will never help your business reputation.

This is a karaoke information forum..... I don't think "anything goes karaoke" sets a good example or information for new KJs trying to build a business.

Just some food for thought....

You know there are greaseball lawyers that are looking for ways to drum up more business.

What if someone or some goody two shoes church group hires a lawyer because they feel they were insulted, degraded, embarrassed, humiliated or some other stupid reason, at one of your shows.

Sounds far-fetched, but today I put nothing past anyone.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:What if someone or some goody two shoes church group hires a lawyer because they feel they were insulted, degraded, embarrassed, humiliated or some other stupid reason, at one of your shows.

Sounds far-fetched, but today I put nothing past anyone.
If you could be sued for that then you could be sued for discriminating against someone who wanted to do a rap song.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You'll be sued faster for what you have than what you don't have.

If I don't have it who can be offended by it? :wink:

Next month is 15 years of steady, very profitable karaoke for me. With my edited book. I work more than 99% of my competition. Hmmmm... They let "anything go." Including steady work that doesn't come their way. 8)

I am more in demand and charge more than they do. Without all of the crap music. Hmmmm..... :lol:

They will never see 15 years.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Reputation.

Let's See my reputation and i'll be honest.

I'm a 3 time married woman by the age of 24, had 2 kids, 1 which is disabled to a point. I went from a housewife who's husband ran around with everyone knowing about it and to a husband who used me as a punching board and locked me in the house for 9 out of ten days. Literally. from there life got better. I Bought a karaoke company that does The best business in 2 counties and 1 city and 2 towns. If others were to talk about me, AND i know they do they say, and i know they do. "there's marlena you know her she's the karaoke lady, wow she's doing good for herself, got herself a real good man this time and it's amazing what she has done with those children. She is so devoted to those kids, never see her up town but to work and take those older ladies to bingo on sunday afternoons. why she even picks up the elderly to take them to her show if they can't get there on There own. It's a sad thing what those men did, turned her into a panophobic, must be rough on her. She's driving a new vehicle these days too, far from when she was with those dead beats. I'd say she's turned out alright, When is she marrying this one?'

And you know what, I imagine alot of other things are said as well, BUT i can bet ya, the things they are saying about me, HAVE ABSOLUTELY Nothing to do with my business And everything to do with the nasty little gossip fiends at the local coffee shop.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It's not a dead horse. You will be, if you don't change your anything goes karaoke free-for-all.

A standup routine by black comedian Eddie Griffin was stopped after he repeatedly used the N-word, a magazine's spokesman said Wednesday.

Griffin, who has appeared in movies such as "Undercover Brother" and "Date Movie" and the TV show "Malcolm & Eddie," was performing at a Black Enterprise magazine event in the Miami suburb of Doral on Friday when he was cut off after using profanities and the N-word, said Andrew Wadium, a spokesman for the publication.

"We believe that ending the performance was the appropriate action," Wadium said.

About 1,000 people registered for the performance.

The statement said Sharpton "expressed gratitude that the nation's pre-eminent magazine for African-Americans stands behind the efforts of National Action Network in getting rid of the N-word."

This was a black comic at an all black function... You know how they stick together to defend each other. They shut him off mid performance. See ya....

The F-word will be next, followed by drug dealing and cop killing. The use of the word "Ho" to discribe the female gender.

An edited song book will become the norm for public performance. If your book isn't you will become unemployable in the future.

IT'S COMING PEOPLE. Anything goes will no longer be tolerated.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

well i ain't hurting yet.. nor do i feel i will be... Again i don't want to work in those sad little places that are so close minded.. and this tpoic is beating a dead horse..

wiseguy.. is there a way i can block just certain posters from my view?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Marlena wrote: wiseguy.. is there a way i can block just certain posters from my view?
I'm afraid not, besides.... if it was possible Bigdog would be the only person reading his posts. :)
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

As long as the artists record it, the record labels publish it and the public buys it, karaoke singers will want to sing it. Case in point. For about 6 months Carrie Underwood's "Before he Cheats" was by far my most popular song. Then I after receiving a number of requests for it I added BuckCherry's "Crazy Bitch". Well immediately that has become the new hot song in my books. It has been sung at every show since I got it and the response from every crowd is overwhelming.

Sure there may come a day when public opinion sways and these types of songs are no longer accepted let alone popular. However, pop culture is very far from that shift. Perhaps in some ultra-conservative bible belt communities this is a hot battle, but across the country it really isn't. Look at how quickly the Don Imus thing has died off. There was an uproar for a week about hip-hop lyrics and now the movement is all but dead as far as media coverage. If and when this shift in culture happens, I don't think there's anyone on this board that'll be oblivious to it.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

This just happened... It's not going away. The Don Imus thing started the ball rolling and it's gathering steam.

Blacks don't even want to hear blacks mention it...What does that tell you. They sure as hell ain't gonna listen to some redneck white guy screaming out the "N-word" for the artistry sake of a song... Use your head..They (people) are becoming offended. And you don't think anyone else is going to be offened at your shows by that or some other language or off color topic being sung in mixed company????

By the way Crazy Beach and You and UR Hand, ain't gonna be in my book. Along with the others that have been deleted.

I just talked to an owner that wants to hire me and I told him of my edited book and the reason why. He said that's good because he doesn't want that kind of crowd anyway... So the bar owners are understanding the implications and ramifications of certain songs, the language and subject matter. And the undesirable crowd that comes with it. So keep thinking everything is sunshine and flowers...It's gonna sneak up and bite you...

Don Imus has a pending law suit because of it. Your business or bar owners could be next.. Because of your attitude or lack of it... I don't put anything past anyone, where there is the possiblity to make some money in a good law suit... He was talking in a generalization.. he never even mentioned anyone by name...

It could be real easy for someone to claim they have been offened and traumatized at your show. Optimum word here is claim. You & the bar owner will have to prove you haven't caused the damage. Do you still think your job will be there if there is a law suit? It still costs a lot of money to defend even if you're totally innoCENT. Are you willing to put the bar owner in harms way so you can make a buck by letting everyone exhibit their/ your "artistic" rendition?
OnTheMicDJs

Post by OnTheMicDJs »

I work a steady seven gigs a week, having been at the same locations for at least a year at each. I have increased sales and overall business at each and every venue. That being said, if there is something that someone wants to sing and it is available for karaoke, I have it available to all that walk through the doors. I didn't write the songs, nor did I make the karaoke...I just provide the entertainment. To those few individuals that do get offended... Come out and enjoy the evening, knowing that these songs are purely being performed for entertainment purposes, or go to Bigdog's show. What about the classics from the Eagles or Beatles or numerous others with sexual and drug related innuendos...although they may use sugar-coated metaphors, many of the topics are quite similar to today's music. Should we ban these songs too? Where do you draw the line?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All of the places I play I have achieved the same results. Best entertainment/revenue night.

What entertainment "value" is there from blurting out every swear word know to man, on an amplified microphone. If it was so popular and entertaining and generated big dollars, it would be on every free radio station and every free prime time TV channel. Stupid media owners are losing millions...

It shows your disregard for your audience, your reputation and the bar owners and taking into account the fact that there are some people or groups of people that you don't care about offending. Anything goes...screw your feelings...I have a show to run....

Is that what built your crowds???? Without it you and your show will die...I highly doubt it.

But if that's what you think your show is based on then your are a pitiful KJ.

How does it add anything positive to your show?

Do you think that everyone enjoys hearing it?

Is it stuff you would play at a wedding? Anniversary party? For your mother and grandmother? They are mature adults..I see no problem with it. Think of the all the quality entertainment value they are missing... Probably keeps them awake at night.
OnTheMicDJs

Post by OnTheMicDJs »

I'm not saying that my shows are built on or by explicit music, but I have yet to receive any negative comments for allowing them at my shows. Explicit music is very few and far between at my shows, but it does happen on occasion. I have an amazing following and a constant flow of new faces coming out, and have not ever received any negative responses for this "issue". This particular music may not be my favorite either, however, a song is a song...if someone wants to sing it, and it is available for karaoke, so be it.

P.S. - My 78 year old grandmother has been out to quite a few of my shows, and had quite a good time...maybe you should check us out sometime. :wink: