What to do

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
mwadeson

What to do

Post by mwadeson »

I have a very good bar owner who wants to have karaoke every week but can not draw a crowd much less a singing crowd what can he/we do to help this situation out

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Let's talk about your experience and sound system...and your song selection.

Do you run a fair rotation?

Is your song book up to date?

Do you have any other karaoke jobs? How are they doing?

The bar can't draw a crowd or you can't draw a crowd...there is a difference.

When you say good bar owner..explain.

Are the drink prices too high?

Is the bar a dive?

How many motorcycles are parked out front?

Is there anyone in the bar on other nights?

Does he have any other entertainment?

I'm not making fun...I'm trying to understand the entire situation...
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Big Dog has started down the right path here in my opinion. The first step to addressing this is to make sure you're not the problem. Start with your song book. The single biggest reason people go to or avoid specific karaoke hosts is song selection. You need to not only have a lot of songs, but you have to have a good mix of genres and also stay current with the latest hits. This is the single biggest thing singers look for.

Another thing people notice is you. Do you have a personality, do you run a fair rotation, can you sing well enough that people can count on you to sing with them on duets when they can't find a partner, etc. These are all things to consider as they can impact singers' enjoyment of your show.

Yet another thing singers will notice is sound quality. Do you have a quality rig and do you know how to use it? Crap in crap out as they say, if you've got a junk rig, no amount of audio engineering magic can compensate. That said, just having a great rig with top quality components doesn't guarantee a good sound either. Good equipment in the wrong hands can still sound like shit.

Finally people look for your presentation. Does your appearance and that of your rig look professional. Is there lighting so people don't feel like they're hiding in the shadows of a corner of the bar singing to themselves?

If you're sure you've got all that in order and the bar is the issue, here's what you can do. Step one, be consistent. If it's a weekly gig, great, but be patient. It may take some time to get a regular karaoke crowd going. The key is be there every week so people know what to expect and when. This may be tough for the bar owner as he'll have to pay you either way and for the first number of shows he may not make back what he's investing in you. Help him see that this takes some time. I know some KJ's who've offered to do shows for less than their normal fee to start out with to help make the bar owner more comfortable. I'd caution you against doing this. Once you're in at a price, it's very tough to negotiate a raise. If you do it, put all the terms in writing, how many weeks at the reduce rate and what the new rate is after that period.

Advertising is key. Both you and the bar need to do it. If you have a website, keep your schedule posted on there and keep it current. Give the bar owner posters that include your name, logo, picture, whatever which he can post around the bar announcing when your shows are. The bar owner might consider a newspaper ad to help draw people in or drink specials. I had one bar owner who had all sorts of free promo items he got from the beverage distributors. He put those up as prizes to the first 5 singers each night. That's a good way to get people singing once they are in the bar.

Ultimately, the bar owner is responsible for getting people in the bar and you're responsible for getting them singing so they stay and so they come back. You guys have to work as a team because your efforts support eachother. Be creative, professional and above all polite.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

bigdog in reply
Fair Rotation Yes
Song book up to date yes
Other jobs yes And good
As far as the Bar it is a nice place same prices as everyone else other entertainment yes not drawing any larger crowd it seems to be the same people every night who say they want karaoke but never want to sing
Good bar owner has been very loyal
he talked a Karaoke contest and I said no but didn't have any other ideas
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you do it they will come....It's never going to happen overnight..You may only get one new person a week. That takes a year to have a decent size crowd.

You have to remember this...even if the bar has karaoke 6 nights a week and you are adding the seventh night....It's like they never ever had karaoke. Sounds funny but think about it...You now have to find 75 people that are already karaokeing at other bars, that want to come to your new night. It takes time. I've been doing this 15 years and every new job is exactly the same. There is never a bus load of people behind me on the first night. It may take weeks/months to catch on.

The economy is slowing way down. People still need money for food, rent and gas to get to work. Nobody has extra money now because we all live beyond our means paycheck to paycheck. Buying houses we could never afford because someone can't budget their money and live within their means. So there is not much fun money to go around. Where do we have fun? Eating out and drinking. Where do we eat out and drink? BARS.....Where do we karaoke?.... BARS

Is it going to be easy to start a new night anywhere???? You tell me...