Equipment Electrical Cords.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Equipment Electrical Cords.

Post by Bigdog »

I have many pieces of equipment from amps to mixers, power strips, surge protectors, etc.

I have had many ground prongs (3 prong plugs) fall off the plug. You know the plugs are all molded now and it seems like they are all made in some "Foreign" country CHEAP.

I'm not talking about cheap equipment. Crown amps are not cheap. My $85 surge protector isn't cheap. My plug strips are not cheap.

I am going to buy some male and female plugs and make mini cords 6 inches long with them. That way I'll only have to plug in the equipment once and the mini cords will get the abuse. Hopefully the ground prongs won't fall of that way. The prongs of the replacement plugs need to be not molded in but actually nice and sturdy quality plugs.

Anyone else having plugs problems.

No I'm not abusing the plugs. Just normal wear and tear.

mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

i have had the same problem and your are doing the same solution i did it worked well i have only replaced i think about a tenth as many plugs since. Like you said cheap foreign crap.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

At least I'm not crazy... :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have a Crown amplifier. Fairly new one. I just ordered a new Yamaha amplifier today.

I won't own another Crown as long as they continue to use a computer type power cord/plug. (I think they statred using them on all thier amps.) My equipment is not abused but this power cord is loose and has already several times worked/vibrated loose during shows. Causing me a lot of embarrassment. Many many times I have had to wiggle the plug just to get the amp to power up. I complained to Crown about it also. There excuse was people were asking for a longer cord. Please...you mean they couldn't have wired a longer one into the board? I told the guy I talked to that it was their way of saving money. (Being Cheap) He corrected me and said it costs them more money to use that type of cord. It's going to cost them for me ever buying their crap again. It's going back to the music store where I bought it and they can sell it for me used. It should be worth half what I paid for it. That's better than nothing, which is actually what it it worth to me.

Yamaha still has the internally wired power cords so there is no chance of someone kicking it (happened twice) or it vibrating loose (several times.) And I'll be using a made up mini cord to plug into the end of it to save wear and tear on the factory plug.

The sales person I talked to today didn't recommend Crown Amps, He wanted to sell me QSC. He claims they are much better. They have a video of them tossing one off of a building.

I have Yamaha speakers and I wanted a Yamaha amplifier to run them.

Oh and the ground prong fell off the Crown power cord too. :roll: :lol:
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Ran into the same problom on a power condtioner ground prong fell out(moulded end)
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

i had the problem on my amp where the plug would come loose i just finally used some cardboard and made it fit tight and then super glued it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

First of all, I don't believe the guy I talked to at Crown when he said it's more expensive to use that type of cord set up. Using an outside cord the board doesn't have to be touched by hand. That saves time and money. Someone has to actually solder the cord on to the board internally, by hand.

He must think he's talking to an idiot.

Yes I'm an idiot if you think I'm going to spend anymore of my hard earned money on a piece of crap amplifier with an outside wiggly cord set up. It VIBRATED out during a show. I really want something that "reliable" for my shows.

Another example of corporate greed taking over to reduce the product reliability, Just to save a few pennies.

I'm willing to spend more money (what a few dollars more???) to get a more reliable product. Yes I let someone talk me into that Crown amplifier. BUT I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY MISTAKE. If the Yamaha amp had an external cord (I call it computer cord set up) I wouldn't have bought it. Every Crown Amplifier has that cord setup. So Crown is forever off my equipment list. As with any other amplifier that has that set up. I have been embarrassed and humiliated enough.

It is rediculous to have to "super glue" the power cord in place. I actually considered that measure too.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

From my understanding it is going to get real hard to find anything with a attached cord. some law suit against a company some one tripped on the cord. this way it should just pull out.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All airplanes should be covered in bubble wrap so they won't hit the ground so hard when they fall out of the sky.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

good point i understand what you are saying
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:It's going back to the music store where I bought it and they can sell it for me used. It should be worth half what I paid for it.
I think I'd just have the cord hard wired into the amp rather than lose half of my investment.

I don't think I buy the implication that the cords are being made this way to prevent tripping accidents.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The new Yamaha amp sounds better than the Crown. :shock: :o

I heard it and so did some singers. :wink:

The cord is internally attached and it is pretty long. (They don't care about tripping idiots.) :lol:

It was a good idea to get it. I am very happy. :D

Ordered Saturday.

Shipped Monday and the $99 over night payment got it to me at 10AM Tuesday morning. Installed by 11 Am played Tuesday night without a hitch. Crown can scratch my .... :roll:

CROWN Amplifer...NEVER AGAIN. :idea:
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

For those that have expressed problems with cords falling out or breaking, I'm curious what all you're having to plug in and out at each show. All my rack equipment (amp, mic receivers, compressor, digital effects, EQ's) are mounted in a rack with a power conditioner. Everything is plugged into the conditioner and the only thing I have to plug in at a show is the cord from the conditioner. All the cords and cables (captive or seperate) are mounted such that they're strain relieved and I have no issues with cords falling out as a result.

The use of IEC connectors and cords (computer style cords) is only going to increase. Captive cords (permanently soldered to the board) are more expensive to manufacture because everything is modular these days so having to solder a cord to the power supply means a proprietary design rather than being use an off the shelf model. It's also much cheaper to replace (either the jack or the cord) if damaged or broken. For me, I like the IEC connectors because I can use different lengths and I'm not married to a 12 foot cord that was installed when all I need is 2 feet in the rack.

As far as ground plugs falling out, this does happen a lot with molded plugs, especially on extension cords. However you can prolong the life of them by taking care when you plug and unplug them. Straight in and straight out and don't wiggle the plug as you do either. That just puts stress on a part that is only held in place by a solder joint and the friction of the rubber molded around it.

Just some thoughts, hope they're helpful to you guys.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have 3 main boxes.

1. Mixer box. This contains 3 cordless microphone receivers. Effects. Compressor. Power rack. Mixer. EQ. Mini light.

2. Computer box. External Hard drives. Laptop. Video Processor. RF mod. RF amplifier. 110 USB converter. Surge protector. Mini light.

3. Amplifier box.

Each box drops one main power cord. These plug into a surge protector. None of the above mentioned items gets unplugged or plugged unless they are being replaced.

The power strip on my portable TV ground prong fell off. The ground prong on the surge protector stuck in the receptacale at a job. (there was a new receptacale installed the next week,....oops :oops: couldn't plug the video game back in.) The ground prong on the Crown amplifier fell off.

I was just looking tonight at the plugs. I still need to make some more mini extention cords to put on them. To protect the molded prongs. We shouldn't have to do this.

I am buying kinda expensive ($11) Hubbell replacement plugs (model # HBL5965VBLK these are black.) (female plug # is HBL5969VBLK-- $20) There is no chance of the ground prong falling out of them. I used these to replace the plugs that already went bad. And to make extension cords.

You better carry a replacement plug with you. If the ground prong falls off the amplifier plug you will get a ground loop noise you can't stop. You may get it if the prong falls off your surge protector plug. It feeds everything else.

I'm doing 6 nights a week. That's just normal wear and tear. I set up and tear down so I know what kind of abuse they get. (Which is none.) Foreign crap just to save a few pennies.

Hey.... it gets it out of the show room while it works. After that it's your problem.

The new Yamaha sounds much better. I have purchased my last Crown. I have owned at least 6-8 Crowns. NEVER again.