Need a good software with an easy interface?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
leftygt

Need a good software with an easy interface?

Post by leftygt »

Hi, new here and not a pro- just a home user. I've had various software packages over the years (club dj pro, virtual dj, swift elite) and as well as costing loads of money I find the interface way too complicated for my needs. I just want a programe that will search my mp3+g's, and play selected song! dont want playlists, key changes, messages going across the screen etc..etc...in fact the only other requirement I would need is that I can have a vido output of the lyrics screen like most programmes do. Virtual dj used to be great - it would play anything I threw at it, but if I played a few music tracks or music videos before I played mp3+g's I always ran into trouble, it was hit or miss if it would play the track.I'm not crazy about winamp plug-ins, I'd rather a stand alone programe. Any recomendations?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Simplest answer in that case is Winamp with the CD+G and Pacemaker plugins.

It doesn't have it's own search engine but Windows search will do that for you and you just have to drag the MP3 file across to Winamp.

However, while I can see your point of view, running a Karaoke show (even at home) really does need AND deserve better.

My personal choice of Karaoke software is Karma by Latshaw Systems but it's pricy at $100, or so.

For a cheap and cheerful system that does all the basics plus a number of extras, go for Justkaraoke;

http://www.tricerasoft.com/karaoke_soft ... raoke.html

Dirt cheap but performance belies the price.

Sandy.
P.S. welcome to the nuthouse.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Another vote for JustKaraoke. Very easy to use. Simple to setup.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sax & Dottys.

You will need a key changer unless you can sing five octives like Mariah Carey or Pat Benatar. Not every song is done in your key.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:Sax & Dottys.

You will need a key changer unless you can sing five octives like Mariah Carey or Pat Benatar. Not every song is done in your key.
Sorry but a definite NO! to Sax & Dottys.

For only one reason and that is the massively restrictive practise of tying the software to one PC ONLY!

When the program is installed, it generates a registration number based on the contents of your PC, e.g. the motherboard, sound card and video card.

This number is sent to S & D, who then provide an activation number based on the registration number.

BOTH numbers are verified EVERY time S & D is run and if they change, the prog will only run in demo mode. So if you change anything in your PC, you're stuffed. If your PC crashes, you can't simply migrate the program over to a new one without going through the same palaver.

I have seen on other forums (forii ?) that it can take a fair old time before S & D will issue another activation number.

Avoid S & D like the plague.

Sandy
P.S. Bigdog, the Pacemaker plugin I mentioned changes tempo, pitch and speed.

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/pacemaker/12689
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The OP said he didn't need a key changer. He does and will unless he can sing 5 octives
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

I've downloaded the trial version of justkaraoke and it seems to be just what I wanted, if I buy the full version can I use it on more than 1 computer?

On a different note - when I ripped all my cd+g's to my hard drive the naming process did'nt turn out too well. I used power cd+g burner and some discs it did'nt add the titles at all, just track1, track2, etc...etc... - is there a programme out there that will rename all my mp3+g's properly so that the search function on my player will show the track exactly as it should do in the search results? I know there is a programe called Karaoke List creator that has this function, but only for compiling lists.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

A:Yes you can install it on more than one computer.

B: MP3+GToolz should do the trick. But you need to rerip naming them with the disc ID and track#
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

DanG2006 wrote:A:Yes you can install it on more than one computer.

B: MP3+GToolz should do the trick. But you need to rerip naming them with the disc ID and track#
Thats going to be a problem, I had many discs along with a sunfly karaoke dvd machine - but I sold them on as it was much easier with the laptop, so I dont have the discs any more. Is there no program that has a data-base of all the discs like karaoke songlist creator? Something that I would just have to put the disc code in and it would have all the tracks in the right format?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You now have another big problem.

Not having the original discs to prove your ownership of the songs, now makes their ownership illegal.

Everyone of us that has switched over to computer has a big pile of discs stored somewhere in our control taking up space as proof of ownership.
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

Bigdog wrote:You now have another big problem.

Not having the original discs to prove your ownership of the songs, now makes their ownership illegal.

Everyone of us that has switched over to computer has a big pile of discs stored somewhere in our control taking up space as proof of ownership.
I was'nt even aware this was an issue? I do have proof of purchase as in a Sunfly account with purchase history and records of other purchases?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

leftygt wrote:I was'nt even aware this was an issue? I do have proof of purchase as in a Sunfly account with purchase history and records of other purchases?
Still a problem, I'm afraid as selling the discs on ALSO effectively means you've also sold on your right to use their content. That's what the copyright protection is there for.

My viewpoint is that I'm entitled to make a backup of anything I have, as long as I can actually do so (this has been contested many times and won in Court, by the way). But I MUST keep the original(s).

What I can't do is make a backup, dispose of the originals and comtinue to use the backup.

However, if as you say, they are only for home use, I doubt if anyone will care less that you have them.

Sandy
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

mnementh wrote:
leftygt wrote:I was'nt even aware this was an issue? I do have proof of purchase as in a Sunfly account with purchase history and records of other purchases?
Still a problem, I'm afraid as selling the discs on ALSO effectively means you've also sold on your right to use their content. That's what the copyright protection is there for.

My viewpoint is that I'm entitled to make a backup of anything I have, as long as I can actually do so (this has been contested many times and won in Court, by the way). But I MUST keep the original(s).

What I can't do is make a backup, dispose of the originals and comtinue to use the back

However, if as you say, they are only for home use, I doubt if anyone will care less that you have them.

Sandy
Yeah, its just home use - thought it would be easier to utilise my computer power and have instant access. So now I'm stuck with the files named as they are?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You can manually rename them.

I've been doing it for a good while. I don't want to pay to update my song book program that's connected to my ripping program. :oops:

Open the disc folder.

You will see each song. Right click on each file and click on rename. Then do it one by one.

My files name as follows.

Disc number and track number. Then the artist name. Then song title.

SC8888-01 - Taylor, James - Steamroller.zip

I have to make sure that there is a space before and after the (-) between the artists name and song name or they won't be where they should be in my master list in Sax & Dottys.

Before you rename all of them, try a few to make sure you are naming them they way they need to be named for the program you use. So they will list correctly alphabetically by song or artist or disc in your queue.

If the songs are named right in my song book program (KJ PRO) and the ripping program finds the correct number in the song program when I rip then they will be named correctly automatically.
leftygt

Post by leftygt »

Oh mate, I have'nt got the time or energy to do all that! I'm talking about 250+ discs! There has to be a programme with a database for example, all the super-choice series , that knows the tracklist to each disc just like songlist creator? i.e. just tick all the boxes of the discs you have ripped and it will rename them for you? I would'nt mind paying for that!