Smoking Ban & bar business.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
stevesdjservice

Post by stevesdjservice »

I hate that MY equipmant smells like smoke when I leave a smoking bar. I store my stuff in my den closet, and we do not smoke in my house. I have purchased stock in Fabreeze!

Steve's DJ/Karaoke Service
"Music Is The Soundtrack Of Our Lives"
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I know the feeling, I've just started working at a smoke free bar and didn't realize how bad the smoking gigs were until the first time I fired up the rig in a smoke free place. The fan on the amplifier came on and I got a face full of stale smoke smell, YUCK. That said, I certainly wouldn't reccommend spraying Fabreeze on your electronics.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All the stuff that looks like dust & dirt on your equipment is cigarette smoke. It clogs the fans and gets in the sliders. It gets thick and clumps together and falls like dust.

It's doing the same thing to your lungs.

The first question I will ask any new bar inquiries is if it's a smoking or non smoking bar.
stevesdjservice

No Fabreeze on the system! :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My speakers are cloth covered so FeBreze would work.

Quitting 2 smoking shows...down to 5 nights a week. Replaced one show with a smoke free bar that already has me one night.

I will make a nice living doing all nonsmoking venues.

From what I see the smoking bars are just filling up with hard core smokers that really don't care what is going on in the bar as long as they don't have to go outside to get their fix. If you watch the smokers they go out about every half hour to 45 minutes. That's pretty sick if you ask me.

That's an addiction. BIG TIME. And very expensive. It may as well be CRACK. About the same money. Wait till the government raises the tax on them again.

The smoke free bar is doing very well when they have bands too. I asked the owner about the percentage of smokers and he feels it's about 20%.

In the smoking bars it's just the opposite. So the nonsmokers want to have a night life too. :shock: They are coming out in nice numbers to the smoke free venues.
stevesdjservice

"From what I see the smoking bars are just filling up with hard core smokers that really don't care what is going on in the bar as long as they don't have to go outside to get their fix."

Well said! I notice the same thing at work. It seems smokers get twice as many breaks as us "pink Lungs" I think eventually all public places will be non smoking. My speakers are cloth also, so I spray them!!
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I did discover one drawback to playing at non-smoking bars. The smokers go outside to smoke so if they're signed up to sing, you've got more instances of calling for a name of someone to sing who's gone outside for a smoke. Happened a couple times to me this past week at my newest gig which is in a smoke free bar. However, I'll take that tradeoff anyday. My gig last night was in a packed club that was at least 50% smokers. My chest hurt so bad when I got up this morning I almost didn't come to my day job today. But, until the government bans smoking in bars around here I'll continue to play them. There are very few non-smoking bars in this area so if I want to keep working, that's the only way.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Just because your state might ban smoking doesn't mean the bars are going to comply. I still might have to put up with smoke even though my state has banned it in bars. I won't report them because I need the work.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Trading ones health for money has been the working mans dilemma for as long as there have been jobs. :cry: :(

The smoking dilemma is going to get bigger. :shock:

The government wants to raise the tax on cigarettes. The smokers addiction already costs them anywhere from $300-800 or more a month, depending on the amount of smoking per day and the amount of smokers per household. (Husband & wife)

When the smokers have to start choosing between smoking or being able to go out and have fun....they will have to pick staying home and smoking.

Then the only people left that have any extra "play" money will be the nonsmokers.

How many of you can afford a filthy discusting habit costing that much? I can't and I don't want to start. When it comes to food or cigarettes...then what??

This economy thing is going to get much worse. I actually think it will get to the point of being scary bad, to the point where you may not be able to sleep at night. I hope I'm wrong. And I hope I can buy enough bullets in the mean time.

If you narc on a bar for smoking they will just have to comply and you will still have a job, just a cleaner one. They have to comply or pay a fine. It's called the Clean Indoor Air Act.

I have very busy nonsmoking karaoke nights and the smokers go outside to smoke. Tonight I had 150 people and 35 singers. NONsmoking. Tomorrow will be close to the same numbers NONsmoking.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

On April 1st federal tax on cigarettes is going up by 61 cents a pack. This will certainly cause a substantial decrease in smokers. Soon only the rich will be able to smoke which to me is not a fair way of going about it. Why not just make tobacco illegal and get it over with. Then we can start on alcohol, which is nearly as dangerous.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Hopefully the smokers will have to choose between smoking or going out. Who has that kind of money to constantly throw away on an addiction and paying bills?

The nonsmokers will be the only ones that have play money left.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

my whole outlook on the smoking in bars consist of.....
The bar is required to make it know they allow smoking and have an exhaust system
It doesn't bother me i am a smoker.
The people really pushing it around my area are the ones you never see in a bar and we have a couple non smoking bars here in town they are not there either and they will leave their vehicle run for an hour while they go grocery shopping so it don't get cold.
One of the bars has already figured out away around it. When you walk in you pay 25 cent for a lifetime membership of the bar. Now they are considered a club. Existing clubs will not have to comply with the ban.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mwadeson wrote: One of the bars has already figured out away around it. When you walk in you pay 25 cent for a lifetime membership of the bar. Now they are considered a club. Existing clubs will not have to comply with the ban.
In my state every bar is considered a private club and smoking is still prohibited.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The fact still remains that second hand smoke is a cancer causing agent.

Your right to smoke in public doesn't include exposing innocent people to a cancer causing agent. Would it be OK with you if I sprinkled you with some asbestos dust? It's just a little habit I have and I need to do it 20 times (number of smokes in a pack) a day.

That's the problem. Nobody has the right to make other people sick because they want to do it to themselves. Get a grip and use some self control and end your addiction. I have an addiction to breathing clean air.

Since I quit my smoking jobs, I may have alienated some of the smoking karaoke singers. But if they stop patronizing me over it....My intention to stop working in smoking venues was strickly my decision and it has nothing to do with the singers or any suggestion that I don't like them because they smoke.

Some may have taken it personally. But that will remain to be seen. I respect their limited right to smoke and they should respect my right not to expose myself to unnecessary health risks because they don't care about their health. Kill yourself in private, not in public.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

The fact still remains that second hand smoke is a cancer causing agent
And so is the vehicle sitting outside running for an hour at a time. And as long as it is stated that you allow smoking you have the choice to go into that establishment and risk the cancer causing agent. It is just like guns guns do kill people people do. We will not get rid of all the guns in the world. If they try to get a hand on it all it does is keep the honest honest.
As far as paying bills my pack of smokes cost me 3 dollars a day. I see people who don't smoke and some that do put 50 dollars a day in lottery tickets, pull tabs ext. people will spend the money somewhere.
It all comes down to we all have choices and our choices all effect everyone in some way shape or form.