What is you opinion?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

What is you opinion?

Post by Bigdog »

A bar owner has a band scheduled. The band charges a cover charge $3-5 Not sure which. Keep in mind this is all the money the band will make unless they have an agreement with the bar owner to make up any difference.

The band is scheduled to start at 10 PM.

There is a hockey game on TV so the bar owner holds up the start of the band until the game is over. About a half hour to 45 min. Meaning the band will probably play one less set of music. Keep in mind that if people get mad and leave they will probably want their money back. Meaning a smaller crowd and less money the band makes. And less money the bar makes on the band.

If you went to hear a band and paid a cover and this happened to you...What would you do? Would it make you mad?

I don't think the bar owner should be messing with the bands money. If it was my band the next time there would be a guaranteed amount of money paid to the band. To compensate for stupidity. It's one thing if he was paying the band out of his pocket. But the band usually only works for the door.

This scenario is similar to what has been happening on karaoke night only the people aren't paying a cover charge. Karaoke didn't start until 1hour to 1hour and 15 minutes late.

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

If I walked in to see a band and paid a cover, yes I'd want to see the full show. And yes I'd be pissed if the show got pushed back by a sporting event.

From the band perspective, I can tell you our band never takes shows where we "play for the door" unless there's an alternative minimum amount set that we're comfortable with. Of course we also always have contracts for our shows that specify the start time and changing it would be a breach of contract. If I were in a band that was playing for the door without a contract and the above scenario occurred, you better believe I'd be right in that bar owner's grill to find out how he planned to pay us now that he messed with our show. I would remind him of the money he's losing by making this choice.

From a Karaoke perspective, it is quite a bit different though. First, I'm getting paid the same either way whether I play three hours or four. Second, the people coming in didn't pay a cover and typically will stick around for the show to start. Those that do leave most often will be back.

Now I will say that if it became a habit, I'd be having a conversation with the bar owner about what it's going to mean to the Karaoke crowd. If it occurs often, people will get frustrated and stop coming. So if he's paying me to bring in a crowd, he's decreasing the chances of my success significantly.

In the end, flexibility and communication are two keys to this job. You have to be able to talk to the bar owner and let him know what your thoughts are. You need to be able to adapt in less than ideal circumstances. That doesn't change whether your a KJ, DJ, Band or Stand Up Comic. It's a fact of life when it comes to live entertainment.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

We used to frequent a local sports bar for our karaoke fix. After about the fifth time this happened we stopped going. This bar has karaoke five nights a week, with live bands on Friday and Saturday. There are several TV's in this bar and the big screen isn't used for karaoke.

The karaoke show could have started timely, as only one TV is used for karaoke (a small one by the stage). If the show is advertised to start at 9, I expect it to start at 9. Those of us who have to get up early in the morning for our day jobs can't stay out that late.

As a KJ, I would be conerned about losing some of my customers for the same reason we stopped going to the sports bar. If I were in a band, I would be irritated as well. People aren't necessarily going to stick around waiting for a sporting event to finish. I would make sure everyone knew it wasn't my call, but the bar owner's call to start late.

I think it's just bad business to not start events/entertainment when it is advertised to start.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The sports crowd is very fickle. They show up more if the team is winning. So the bars can not really count on them to be there week after week.

Karaoke people are loyal and come no matter how the "team" is doing. The bars screw up by giving themselves the designation "Sports Bar." Now you limited your agenda and who shows up. Can't an ordinary bar have a game on TV? :roll:

Not being into sports at all..(except bikini contests :wink: the only true mens sport)....the last place I want to go for a night out is a sports bar. Sports fans are basically jerks. Too loud and opinionated. They swear and pound on the tables and bar. Act like little kids if the team loses.

How much money has the "team" every paid you for watching or being there? But you will dump tons of your hard earned money supporting multi-million dollar players and owners buying all of the jerseys, hats, jackets, tickets and pay per view, parking, snacks, pictures, autographs, license plates. It's just a game...it's not life and death. Get a life, already. Goofy as my "no life" neighbor that cuts his grass 3 times a week.

One more thing I find ridiculous.... the local newspaper web site lists the most veiwed topics for the day. 99% of the time the most veiwed topics are sports related.

More important than our current economic situation?

More important than terrorism?

More important than politics?

More important than local news and events?

Pretty pitiful if you ask me. LOSERS.....
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Todays top 5 headlines on the front page.

#1 story about the Big East basketball.

#2 Teen Shot

#3 Hockey story

#4 Baseball story

#5 Hospital contract talks

:cry: :roll: Please kill me now.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

I just had to deal with a very similar situation a few weeks ago. I do one of my weekly shows at a sports bar and "March madness" had just started. On the night of my show the venue manager calls me and wants me to start later than normal. Keep in mind that this gig was very new (3 weeks old) and I was busting my rump to get a following and was a little upset about it.
Well, I get to the bar at around the time the show usually starts and guess what???? I have approximately six people bum-rush me asking why we arent starting karaoke. I tell them the story and they also get upset. Meanwhile, the wife is putting out songbooks on the table and we slowly start setting up when people start coming up and handing us slips with songs on them. I must have had 25 slips handed in within 5 minutes and went and told the manager my saga. She said we should not wait any longer and set up because the basketball tourney wasnt bringing in the people she thought it would.
Needless to say we hurried with our setup and started our show ASAP.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Most bar owners are going to cater to the 5-10 sports fans than the regular karaoke singers.

You can't play both sides of the fence.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Yeah, That's kind of what I told her. We use only one of the 30 tv's in there and our singers outnumbered the basketball fans 3 to1. I'm almost glad it happened because I think it let her know how loyal our singers are and also that basketball and karaoke can peacefully co-exist together on the same night.
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

Our bar is a sports bar, so, Karaoke does get held up for important games UNLESS there is only 1 or 2 watching the game. We do have 2 other TVs that the game will stay on.