Show Values

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Show Values

Post by Bigdog »

Since everyone thinks the "anything goes" karaoke is the way to go, I'm curious as to how everyone handles the songs with the "N" word splashed across the screen? And how would you deal with it if you have some black people in the audience?

Because the last thing I want at my show is to have some drunk white redneck punk screaming the "N" word in a mixed crowd. You may think that it's OK because it's in the song.....I Don't.

I don't think it's appropriate and I don't think it's necessary. I don't think it sets a good example for other patrons. I don't think it shows any class from the singer or the KJ. I don't think it helps the reputation of the bar or the KJ. I don't think it shows any respect for anyone in the bar.

So now tell me how and why you think it helps your show?

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Were you on the debate team in school? Do you like trying to stir things up? Since you seem to be a very popular KJ I can only assume you exhibit a different bigdog at work than what we see in this forum. I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful in any way, I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from.

The bar we attend quite often is a mixed crowd; not just black and white, but Mexican, Native American and Islanders are all part of the regular crowd. Even when Spanish language songs are performed everyone is respectful.

I have yet to see a song played with the "N" word flashing across the screen but we do have a couple of wanna-be-rockers (one is in his 50's) that do quite a few songs that drop the "F" bomb. That particular word has never been in my vocabulary and probably never will, but I certainly do not become offended when I hear it.

At our hang-out it is widely recognized that karaoke is FUN. I've only heard one person complain about the quality of singers, and he was a KJ! We have some excellent singers, as well as those who don't do so well, and everything between.

Bottom line, all the regular folks, and most of the drop-ins are very respectful and do not perform the "rap crap". I really don't like rap, but if someone does, it is available for them. Most of the crowd is actually made up of, as you call them, "drunk white redneck punks" and the songs they like don't contain the "N" word. Isn't it usually found in rap songs written and performed African Americans? I'm not aware of a "redneck" song that has that word.

To answer your question, it is, very simply, a non-issue where we go. And it is certainly a non-issue at our family show. We must be from very different worlds if this is such an issue in your neck of the woods.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The songs I am referring to are Rap songs that are from black Artists & white artists.

The white ones contain the F bomb and other not fit for radio words. The black ones are constantly talking about Hos and MFers and referring to themsleves as the "N" word. How can you not have seen any of these songs? They are on almost every Pop Hits Monthly pop disc. You must not have updated for the last 10 years because I have to edit every Pop Hits Monthly disc I buy and that is one disc every month for the last 10 years or more. The songs are getting worse not better.

The white kids all want to sing them. It's never a black person. I have never had a black person ever sing Baby Got Back or Funky Cold Medina or any of the other older popular ones like these.

Must only be in my area. :roll: Every white redneck punk in the entire country must only live in a 50 mile circle around my house. :idea:

They can't sing these songs at my show because I booted them from my book to protect and respect the innocent.

I'm just trying to understand why any KJ feels the need to have these offensive and degrading and embarrassing songs in their show? What possibly good purpose can it serve? Do you think it's adding quality to your show? What mentallity do you need to have?

Give my one good reason you feel the need to disrespect anyone at your shows of any age or color with this "X" rated, possibly confrontational song content. Do you think it adds to your popularity. Does it get you jobs? Does it get you more money?

What would you do if someone became offended and started a fight? What if it caused some hard feelings and people stopped coming. And you really wouldn't be able to tell that unless they told you they were not coming back.

If I lose a few redneck punks that only want to scream out swear words, I'm happy as hell. I wish they all would leave. They are not adding to the quality of my show and they do not represent the normal crowd that I attract. I am very proud of the high quality of my shows and that includes the types of people I attract on a regular basis.

A show that disrespects nobody is something to be proud of.

Whenever I interveiw with a perspective bar owner I always tell them my song book is edited. I am proud of that fact and I think it makes me look like a respectable person that cares about the bars reputation and my own. Not one has ever said I'll hire you "if" you put in all the F bomb songs and the "N" word songs and the rest that the majority of the people will find offensive. They know what type of person these songs are more likely to attract and they don't want that element around as regulars.

No bar or KJ can afford to have a bad reputation. Now tell me how those songs help to make a good reputation for you or the bar? I'm not talking about your popularity. I'm talking about what people think about you and the bar whenever they hear these songs. I have heard from many people that they have been offended and don't like the language at other shows and they will not go back to them.

Maybe they were talking about your show.

A bar owner that wants that kind of lyrical content must run a dive and doesn't care about the quality of his cliental.

What can they say bad about my show? He doesn't have the F bomb songs I want. He doesn't have the "N" word songs I want. He doesn't have the gangbangin rap songs I want. :roll:

Now the million dollar question.....

What is wrong with editing out the songs that someone "could" find offensive? Why would you want to take that chance? For what possible gain?? A few drunk rednecks at your show that have no respect for anyone or anything?

I'll pass on them everytime. Even if it would mean I was out of a job. I respect myself and my loyal singers too much. I also respect the bars reputation too much. I feel it shows a big lack of respect for everyone involved.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm not picking out any one individual with my replies. :D

At my show everyone knows from the beginning that I run a very professional show. Everyone is treated exactly the same by me, unless they act like real jerks.....

I'm not confrontational. But I don't put up with any crap either. Everyone is respected. I make sure there are no minors in the house if someone puts in a song that contains inappropriate subject matter or swear words (or songs that swear words are added to) before they can sing it.

I don't make fun of anyone. I don't react any different to a singer that sucks than I do to one that is fantastic. I joke with people. One new lady told my girlfriend that these people just love him. After seeing how I am greeted with hugs, kisses and handshakes.

I want a crowd that is respectful of everyone there. I don't need troublemakers or jerks that want to see how much they can get away with on the microphones or with the equipment.

Ask anyone that works in any of my bars and you will get the same positive reaction about me and my show. They tell me about all the other KJs and DJs that suck and want them to be replaced. They all wish I was working the other nights. From all the owners and managers to the bartenders and security people. The security people have easy nights when I work. The bartenders make lots of tips when I work.

I totally control my show and the way the crowd acts by how I run things and by the songs that are available to be sung. Editing the song book gives me that control. That power to control.

My competition gets all the people I don't want at my show. Thank God my competition allows "anything to go" at their pitiful shows. Keeps my shows high quality and safer.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have had songs sung at my shows that drop the n word (not very often though) and the blacks inthe audience don't seem to care even if it is a white guy doing it since the word is in the song. So it must be in your neck of the woods that it is an issue.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I don't know big dawg, my experience has been when the word N***er is in a song, it's almost exclusively by an artist who's African American (save for Eminem and maybe one or two others). I've yet to see someone get pissed off because someone else sang the song the way the original artist performed it. I've got white guys that sing Eminem, Coolio, NWA and Akon songs with the "N word" in the lyrics and not once have any of the black folks in the crowd gotten upset. In fact most think it's a hoot that a white guy is singing those songs.

Hell if you actually understand the lyrics to the song and know the background, Sweet Home Alabama is way more offensive to black folks but I'm sure you haven't removed that one from your books. Why not? Because most people have no clue what Skynyrd is talking about when they reference Neil Young and his songs.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I might be more impressed with your opinion if you could manage to put a post together without resorting to name calling, personal attacks and sarcasm; all of which seem disrespectful. Yet you claim to be a very respectful individual and want to make sure no one is offended.

I don't recall saying that I have never seen those songs; I believe I stated that I haven't seen them played (i.e. performed). As far as my collection goes, it is very current, thank you.

You are free to run your show as you see fit. So are the rest of us. Are we wrong to have non-edited song books? In your opinion, apparently we are. However, it appears as though none of us have had any issues with complete song books.

Perhaps people in your area are overly sensitive? Perhaps you have an issue with rednecks? I don't know why you are so worked up about this topic ... but have at it. The rest of us could assure you forever and a day that this causes no hurt feelings or fights, but you are never going to believe it. And I, for one, am okay with that.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You have all dodged the answer to the question. Sounds like you're running for office.

Why do you feel you need these songs of questionalble content? How does it enhance your show to have them included? And why don't you care about the possibilty of offending some in your audience?

The punk A$$ white guys I have a problem with are the ones that only want to sing the songs that have a "shock" value. (Not artistic value) And they sound really stupid whenever the try to rap and only manage to get out every 4th or 5th word of the song.

Doesn't add anything postive to my show and it's their attempt to try to change the show into what they think it should be. I refuse to relinquish the control of my show to anyone. Especially whenever they have no real interest in karaoke. They just want to shock and awe the innocent bystanders with their immature attempt at entertainment. Swearing on the microphone isn't entertainment unless you're at the Comedy Jam. :wink:

So why do you feel the need to cater to this type of mentality?

I don't want their type and I don't need them and I will never welcome them or try to attract or keep them. A hand full of them could turn your show completely in a different direction.

Do you bars need them to survive? Does your show need them to survive?

If your song library is current with Pop Hits and or Sound Choice discs (they both seem to put in every swear word) then you have all of the "N" word songs. So missing them won't be hard. I have some Pop Hit discs that I have deleted 2-3-4 songs from one disc.

I happen to be of the opinion (Like Bill Cosby) that this language is not productive to any race. I have removed them to show respect for the black people that attend my shows.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I had one of the busiest nights that my bar has and had one song with foul language splashed across the screen and the singer decided not to sing the word. So just cause it's there on the screen doesn't mean the singer is gonna sing it that way. That said I wouldn't have yanked his singing privilige just cause he said what was on the screen. Are there shows I do that I do censor the songs, yes but I'm not going to pay to print special books for the occasion. I announce at the beginning of the show that just because it's in the book doesn't mean it will get sung. In fact I specifically state that all rap songs are off limits and any turned in will get put in the circular file before entering the system. But in a bar, we're all adults and should be treated as such and allow each adult their constitutional right to free speech.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What about the rights of people that may not care for that type of language. It's A PUBLIC BAR and everyone has an equal right to be there. You don't offer a show that is suitable for everyone to attend. Costing the bar owner potential money by chasing aay the decent people which most bar owner want to have as regular cliental.

Why no rap at a private party? That's their dime.

One book is all I have to print. It's just the edited version and nobody ever knows I deleted the crap from it.

Why do you feel the overwhelming need to have those types of songs?

I don't understand the logic. Who are you afraid of losing? And why are they so important in the scheme of things?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I get a diverse crowd and they seem to like me enough to come in and spend money which is all my owner cares about or anny bar owner for that matter. We get a fight maybe once in six months butit's not over the music being played. I get good singers as well as a few duds but for the most part they are having fun which is what Karaoke is all about. I'm done debating this as you have yet to prove any point that you bring up. You play what you want to play and I'll play what I want. I've been in business since 1993 and have yet to lose a job over what's in my books.
Oh and why no rap at a private party. Depends on the party and the client's wishes. I do a soccer tournement for kids and have been asked to keep it clean so I do. I find that Rap is where the most blatent swear words are, like every other word has to be MF this MF that. So I don't play rap at parties where the client has asked for a clean party.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Why the absolutely gotta have them need for all the "dirty" songs in the first place? Still unanswered.....

If I'm a bar owner I would rather do business without all of the swearing. It comes down to the bar owners reputation. They must not care. A bar owner that doesn't care about their reputation must be a dive catering to a lower class of people.

The fights are usually started by a jerk that wants to hear that crap. Because that's all they listen to day & night and they think the subject matter of those songs is the acceptable norm.

I don't have that high of a fight average.

I know a KJ that everyone thinks is an absolute jerk that insults many and always acts like a jerk. He still manages to work too. Doesn't mean he's good. He's not. Just means the bar owners that keep him there chasing their business away are STUPID. (This includes the majority of bar owners.)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I refuse to list every type of song coming down the pike just to "up" my song count.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

You seem really "on edge" most times bigdog. I worry about you. If you dont care for "questionable lyrics" when running your shows then by all means delete them. However, quit being so judgemental on how others run their shows. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.
I run 3 shows a week down here in Florida and all of them are uniquely different. What works for me on my Monday night gig would never go over well on my Tuesday night gig. Different venues and age groups require different approaches. One of mt gigs is right by the University and the kids want to listen and sing current rap songs. Who am I to not allow it. That particular venue owner is happier than a puppy with two peters.
Its his busiest night and we have had no fights at all as a result of this music you bash. Besides the occasional drunk, its par for the course. Oh, and contrary to your opinion.... I respect all my venue owners and I feel the same in return
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Bigdog wrote:You have all dodged the answer to the question. Sounds like you're running for office.

Why do you feel you need these songs of questionalble content? How does it enhance your show to have them included? And why don't you care about the possibilty of offending some in your audience?
Actually big d, that's three questions. And I'll answer all three of them.

Q: Why do I need these songs of "questionable" content?
A: Because people want to sing them. My job as a KJ is to provide people with the opportunity to sing the songs that THEY like. My goal, although not an achievable one, is to have every song available on Karaoke there for my customers. My job IS NOT to play the moral cop role or to provide a song list of only songs that I like or believe are good. If that were the case, there'd be a lot of very popular "karaoke classics" that wouldn't be in my books. I'm there to entertain the crowd and make money for the bar, that means getting people singing (on stage or singing along) and having fun so they come back. You dismiss folks who want to sing the songs being questioned here as troublemakers and losers, I see them as potential regulars who may not become regulars if I don't have the songs they like.

Q:How does it enhance your show to have them included?
A:It shows that I have a good variety both in terms of genres and age group. I've got everything from 1920's classics through the latest releases. It gives me the ability to play to audiences that have that same variety of demographics in them. On any given night, I regularly have songs from Pantera, NWA, Elvis, Neil Diamond, The Go Go's, U2, Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift all in the same 4 hour set. Why would I cut out a complete segment.

Q: And why don't you care about the possibilty of offending some in your audience?
A: This is a non-sequitur fallacy in your argument big d. My decision to not censor my song books doesn't mean I don't care about the possibility of offending someone, in fact, the reason I don't censor is because I care. Who's to say what's offesive or not? We've had pages of discussion about that. Where do you draw the line? The fact of the matter is everyone has their own line and songs that I may not think are offensive at all could be taken quite offesnively by others. Or songs that I judge offensive could be anthems in the minds of others who would be offended if I told them I don't have that song because it is profane. I don't write the songs nor do I choose what people sing (unless they ask me to). If someone is going to project their disdain on me because someone sang a song they find offensive, well that'll happen no matter how I censor my book.

You know there's a common thread in all this, and in fact all your posts big d. You focus on a very select group of people. Your "serious" singers as you call them. I choose to focus on the entire group of people. Even those that would just assume ignore the fact that Karaoke is even going. You see, by including everyone and not labeling people or looking down on them for what or how they sing, I make sure everyone has a good time. And while maybe they don't all come back because of the Karaoke, they still know that night at that bar is more fun than if they go to another bar, so they come back anyway. That's how I make money for my customers.

These are bars we're talking about afterall. Adult establishments where adult language and action is to be expected. I choose to treat my guests as adults, capable of making their own decisions about what's right and wrong. I'm not going to dictate that to them, I have no right to do so. And neither do you.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com