Loading & Unloading Procedure

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Loading & Unloading Procedure

Post by Bigdog »

My loading and unloading procedure was developed to keep my smallest pieces of equipment from being stolen. Think about your procedure or lack of one to keep your stuff safe.

I leave my van doors open and unlocked during my in and out trips.

The equipment is taken in and out by how much it weights and how big it is and how expensive it is.

My 18" subs are last in, first out. If someone is running down the street with one of the 90 pound speakers, I'm sure you will see them.

Something much smaller and more expensive would be my microphone case. So this is one of the items along with my spare laptop case that goes in on the first trip. These items would be more easily hidden while running away. These items are the last trip out so that I can finally lock the van doors.

Having a set sequence for loading and unloading also helps in making sure you have everything when you leave.

I also have a sequence for packing and unpacking the cables, microphones, etc.

I will see someone running with a 6 foot table or 90 pound subs or my 150 pound mixer box. :lol:

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The smaller things are the last in in my load in load out. But I don't leave anything unlocked and open while loading and unloading period. How hard is it to unlock a door each time you need to access it anyway? Not hard at all for me. I'd rather have that piece of mind than worrying each trip whether or not something is missing.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My smallest load is about 75 pounds and the biggest weighs over 200 pounds. I need the doors open to make it easier. Less double work. Easier to handle without fumbling for keys.

Each load is worth between a low of $700 to $2000.

Unlocking and locking would work if your trips are 25 pounds.

Every trip except the table is on a two wheel dolly.

Even with the door locked someone could break in and steal your smaller expensive things. If they are already in the bar where your setting up, it could be easier to keep an eye on.

In 16 years nothing has ever disappeared from the van.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I know a KJ that had a speaker stolen at the end of their show.

They were wrapping up and I guess the speaker was close to the door. Someone picked it up and ran down the street with it. She never found them.

Now...how small was the speaker for someone to run down the street with it????

I dont know too many people that can run very far or very fast with a speaker that has some size to it.

I'm thinking it must have been shoebox size. They should have taken both of them. :shock: It would have done them a favor. :lol:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:II'm thinking it must have been shoebox size. They should have taken both of them. :shock: It would have done them a favor. :lol:
Has anyone ever told you that you are just bad? :twisted:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:mrgreen:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The whole point of this thread was to make you aware of the possibility of someone stealing your equipment.

I drive an unmarked van. I have seen many KJs that have their names all over their vehicles. Yeah it's a good form of advertising your business.

That works two ways.

It's a good form of advertising you have a vehicle full of sound equipment and music.

Hmmmmmmm....who would have any interest in having your equipment???

There is always someone out there that wants everything you own. By hook or by crook....

I always look at both sides of any argument and do a best case worst case scenario.

Best case: Good free advertising. Get more jobs. Make more money. :D

Worst Case: Good free advertsing where to find a van full of free DJ equipment. Lose money. :cry: Lose jobs. :cry: Kill myself. :shock:

So by taking in light equpiment of value first and leaving lessor valued heavy equipment you can lessen the chances of someone running down the street with it. 8)

Think about your most expensive piece. Can you work if it's gone? How long would it take to replace it? How much income will be lost plus the price of the original lose?
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I actually do it the same as BD, my heaviest equipment goes in the van first. My 280lb rack, the 80 lb a piece speakers, I figure these are pretty hard for someone to just grab and walk off with. This also has practical application as far as packing the van. The largest items need to be in place first before I can put the smaller ones in.

Either way I always park my van as close to the door as possible. The doors only stay open as long as absolutely necessary. My insurance is very clear that equipment theft from the vehicle is not covered if there are no signs of forced entry. I prepare everything for load out in the venue and then carry it all out as quickly as possible. Once I've started carrying things to the vehicle, I will not stop to talk to anyone until I'm done. Generally I can have everything carried out and loaded in the van in about 5 minutes. Once it's all in, the doors are closed and locked with the alarm armed.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I only mentioned this because I had to change my sequence because of my spare laptop and keeping it safe.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

One advantage to having just one show is that all of the equipment stays at the Deli - locked up of course! Even if we did have to move it, it only consists of two locked cabinets that roll.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Do you have the equipment insured?

My insurance man told me straight up that if I leave my equipment over-night anywhere, it's not covered.