Best Song Versions

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Best Song Versions

Post by Bigdog »

I am writing a new song book. So far I have deleted over 6,000 duplicates. I only list one version of each song. And I pick the most musically correct version.

I have been very surprised by which company's song versions are the closest to the original song.

I have made my selection by listening to questionable songs, side-by-side with the originals. Some I have deleted because the words are wrong. But most have been eliminated because the music was cheesy sounding compared to the original. Meaning they used noticeably synthesized music instead of real instruments. Or they just didn't come that close.

Some karaoke versions are so close you can not tell the real from the copy.

Sorry to say that I have kicked out some Sound Choice versions in favor of some lessor brands. I pick the closet one to the original, period.

Which only proves that not every company gets them all right or all wrong.

I am after sound quality not Disc Company name recognition.

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

It is rather amazing how much the quality can very with the same manufacturers. I think it comes down to the bands they contract with to record these things (some don't use bands at all as you've noticed). Every band adds their own little touches and some more than others. Some just completely miss some of the musical nuances that make a particular song great. Nothing worse than listening to a karaoke version of song where they just muddle through a chord progression without really adding the details that make the song what it is. Of course if you're a band for hire that is recording commercial karaoke tracks, I gotta wonder about how good your band is anyway.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you go to listen to a band that plays covers of popular songs, you generally want to hear something that sounds close to what you are use to hearing. You will judge the quality of that band by how good/close they sound to the original. So why wouldn't everyone expect the KJ to be playing musical versions that sound very close to what you are use to hearing and singing alone with?

If your KJ plays cheap, crappy sounding versions of songs is he any good?

I want to be judged as the KJ that isn't afraid to spend the extra money to buy the quality reproductions.

But that quality version isn't always made buy the most expensive company.

This is why having dupes is sometimes a good thing. You have the opportunity to compare them side-by-side to hear for yourself.

Quality real, close-to-the-original songs are part of my quality show.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Just as annoying as poor audio reproduction is wrong or missing lyrics. I actually hear more complaints about the later.
OnTheMicDJs

Post by OnTheMicDJs »

My favorite are the people who actually prefer their crappy Walmart brand karaoke version, simply because it's what they are used to.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sometimes when they play their version I cringe....because I know that my version is better musically. But it's what they are use to singing....

Sound Choice is good for using the wrong words....
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:Sometimes when they play their version I cringe....because I know that my version is better musically. But it's what they are use to singing....

Sound Choice is good for using the wrong words....
I'd rather sing the Amerising version of Faithfully over Sound Choices for the reason that A:the music is better and B: the lyrics are right.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Karaoke kid, please use punctuation as it would make the differance between unstanding what you just posted or not.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It all comes down to taste. Most prefer the All HIts Version of Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, but I like the DK Version best as it is the only version that has all the lyrics (especially at the end where the male and the female sing different parts together at the same time). The only other version that has it like dk's at the end is Sunfly's but they cut out the baseball monolog.
sw00000p

Post by sw00000p »

For all of the Popular Hits, I find the Highest Quality backing track, closest to the Original, and Re-Sync the Original Lyrics, for the Tracks that need it. No Complaints so far.

sw00000p
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

I also have to say i have found that some companies versions are just not measuring up.. such as:

Top Hits Monthly - Golden Ring (who sings when? is all wrong)
Music Meastro - Shoop (no words when you should be singing.. then when your not supposed to be singing the words are there)

I've also found something very interesting... Music Meastro disc 5 of the MMCOU club pack Cracked not on 1 club pack BUT on 2 seperate club packs i bought at 2 different times.

Also Sound choice Disc With "radar Love" "betty Davis Eyes" "Stuck in the middle With You" and "Cover of the rolling stone".. I Have purchased this disc 4 times and within 3 months of purcahse Radar love and Cover of the rolling stones stopped working properly..

All very strange.

Marlena