The KJ's Cardinal Sin

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
letitrip

The KJ's Cardinal Sin

Post by letitrip »

So a nearby pub talked to me about replacing their KJ who had just quit. I couldn't take the gig as I already have a regular weekly gig on the nights they needed. However, I had off from that gig this past week so my wife and I decided to go check out who they brought in. It was a dreadful experience that reminded me of everything bad about KJ's and why I got into this business.

When we got out of the truck in the parking lot, I already knew we were in trouble. From about 200 ft. from the building we could already hear everything. This is a small bar and it was clear that the volume levels were excessive. We walked in ordered some drinks and chatted with some friends. The first thing we noticed about the hosts (2 of them) is that they were obviously DJ's hosting Karaoke as opposed to Karaoke hosts. Their interactions were funny and they did deal well with the crowd. Unfortunately that's where the positives ended.

Let's start with the rig. Cheap crap. Peavey PR-15's, one of the cheapest Peavey makes and I'd typically shy away from even Peavey's top line PA Equipment. For the singers they had 2 generic brand (I don't even remember the manufacturer) wired microphones that had clear dificiencies in frequency response. The DJ's each had Nady wireless handhelds that they would not let singers use. On top of all this, these guys had no clue how to run the rig. Consistent clipping on both the music and the microphones. From our seats about 20 ft away I was watching their meters consistently lighting up the red clip indicators on the console. The power amp also showed clipping consistently and you could hear the distortion plain as day as a result. Additionally, and probably somewhat leading to this, they had the rig EQ'ed rediculously bass heavy with almost no mid-range and tons of top end, sounded horrible. They had lighting but it was equally horrible, just a bunch of different effects lights (intelligent lights, scanners, etc) mounted willy nilly on a tree with absolutely no concept of an actual light show.

The hosts ended up being terrible, they would reguarly do what I consider to be a cardinal sin for a karaoke host. They'd sing with and over the singer on "stage". One guy got so pissed when they did it to him that he just stopped singing and walked off the stage waving his hands saying "well you sing it then". Not cool and they did this to every singer good or bad. They also really pissed off a lot of people when they decided to play half-hour blocks of DJ music despite having as many as 10 singers waiting in the rotation. In the end I think they played more DJ songs than they did Karaoke tunes despite having a lot of regular Karaoke singers in the bar who could have filled the rotation all night long. They ended up dropping at least 3 of our songs when they ran out of time at the end and there was no reason for it. They easily could have fit everyone in if they hadn't been playing DJ music blocks.

These guys were about as unprofessional as it comes. Both were dressed in t-shirts, shorts and sandals and looked like they had just come in off the beach (which had this been a beach party would have made sense). They both drank way too much and by the end of the night were obnoxious and downright rude to the patrons.

So like I said, just about every negative trait I've seen in KJ's all rolled up in to one package. These guys are probably pretty good DJ's (other than the issues with their rig and how they run it) but as KJ's they're a joke.

Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The best part is...the bar owner probably loved them because they are cheap. He will think they did a great job and everyone was happy because he may have made some money.

What you describe is about 99% of my competition.

But remember this...they are working dispite being the worst of the worst. I see it all the time and singers will still patronise these jerks...Now you tell me why??? And stupid bar owners keep hiring them. Why???

How do they manage to work fairly steady..maybe not long at any job, but they always have one or two?

Now answer this question. If they are DJs, can't they hear all the things that were wrong with the mix and the distortion? Why not? I swear all of my competition has hearing problems. Because they all think their crap system sounds almost as good as mine. Their $50 cordless mikes sound just like my $600 ones. And how come none of the other singers heard anything wrong?

This entire subject baffles the hell out of me because I can't begin to see the attraction to such crap. By bar owners and singers. I refuse to sing on crap systems and I don't really even want to go to the bars they play in. But it's not the case for others. And these are what I consider to be good to excellent singers. They can tell you everything that was wrong about the sound system but they still go. :? :? :? :?
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I'm not sure how happy the bar owner is anymore, I know he got a number of complaints from that night. This pub actually used to have a phenominal Karaoke crowd. In fact the KJ that used to be there was the KJ at the first Karaoke show I ever sang at. So I think he's starting to see that his business is suffering. I don't know for sure but I think these guys may also have been a stop gap because he needed someone quick.

I did some looking into these guys and Bigdog, they're right along with what you'd probably expect. I looked at their website and their only regular gig is a once a month gig at a sports bar. They are offering a $50 referral bonus to anyone that gets them booked at a bar. They also offer to do a free show at any new venue but sitll insist that even for that free show the DJ's drink free. :shock: I do have to say, they might be the norm for this area but I do know there are other KJ's in my area that are much much better.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Bar owners being the stupid breed they are, will keep them until their bar is ready to close for good. There are KJs here that actually kill every place they play. Not kidding or making this up.

The bar owners keep them...Why??? maybe because they are such a bargin..meaning they work so cheap the bar owners know they can't get anyone else that cheap so they keep them there to kill the business some more.

Now if the stupid bar owners actually understood why the bargin KJ is such a bargin..IT'S BECAUSE THEY SUCK> :idea: :idea: :idea:

So yes they are the cheapest KJ around. Because everyone else fired them already. They have left a path of destruction behind. Most of the time the bar owner kept them there so long there is nothing left to revive. The crowds are gone for good and the best KJ in the world will have a very hard time bringing them back.

This is where the bar owners make their biggest mistake. They keep thinking it will get better. They ignore all the customer complaints because the KJ is cheap. They don't see the crowd disappearing little by little. Sure new facing keep coming in so they think the KJ is doing something good. Yes they come in and they leave whenever they find out how bad the KJ sucks.

I can build any bar business. But I can't work a miracle after some clown has driven away every singer within 20 miles. The bars get a bad reputation for crappy karaoke and people stay away like the plague. They have found other stomping grounds.

I can show you 2 very good examples of "KILLER KJS" in my area. But the bar owners haven't dumped them yet. The may be praying for a miracle. It's too late for a miracle and every day they wait inflicts more unrepairable damage. There is only so much business dollars floating around to be had. Keeping a "KILLER KJ" around hoping that something will happen isn't how to conduct busines. If I can't draw a crowd and keep it after a certain period of time DUMP ME. These KJs should have never ever been hired let alone have them stay as long as they have.

The bar owners will blame karaoke for not working. I tried that but it didn't work. NO you tried a cheap crappy KJ that didn't work. DO NOT confuse me as one of them.

I am not as cheap. My equipment is not as cheap. My time is more valueable because I can do what you are paying for. It might not be as cheap as you are willing to pay for a KJ, but I draw and keep a crowd. What have they done, exepct kill your crowd? Is it worth it or not? They are penney wise and dollar foolish.

Paying a KJ $25-50 less than I charge is no bargin. You will pay them $125-150 to kill your business but I'm not worth $200 to build your business? That makes good sense. See you in the unemployment line because your business can not afford to survive the cheap KJ massacre. You will keep them too long without getting the results you need.

I just gave a singer $100 for getting me a steady gig.

$10,000 job for $100 that's a no brainer.

Why can't bar owners understand the logic of... YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR?????? Whether you think it's a bargin or not.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

OMG Tony by chance are these guys out of westbend?? or that area. It sounds like the guys I saw at Deb's(my wife) cousons wedding last year. there was 2 guys running the DJ setup, being a KJ/DJ first thing I noticed was the speakers same as you descibed(with the matching subs) sounds like the same style lighting. as we walked in farther I got to see the DJ's(they were behind a booth that went to the celing) T-shirts,shorts and you guest it sandels!!! Im thinking you got to be kidding this is how you guys dress to DJ a wedding???? never did get to rate how they did for night as DJs or sound as we had to leave to do a show that night. I might add they were Quite proud of those $199.00 PA's To funny !! One main speaker on my back up set almost equals the cost of their entire system. granted I run powered speakers and they had to invest in an amp but im guessing that was not much.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

What I wear for a bar gig and a private formal gig is different. At the bar I dress completely casual where I will were dress clothes for a wedding or anniversary party.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Darryl, yeah they are out of West Bend. They were pretty much a joke all around. I can't even imagine someone dressing like that for a wedding gig (unless the wedding couple OK'ed it I guess).

Dan, at my bar gigs, I do dress casually, but still nicer than shorts, T-Shirt and Sandals. My personal goal is that when someone comes in and I'm out in the crowd, there's no doubt who's running the show. I dress for the environment but still maintain a professional appearance. To me there is nothing professional about shorts and sandals unless you're working a beach party.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Everyone always thinks they can spend as little as possible for a DJ. Weddings cost thousands of dollars and they want to save money on a DJ. Only 2 things make a wedding bad

BAD FOOD or a BAD DJ/KJ.

Now tell me why you want to skimp on the entertainment part of the wedding? Usually people come to a wedding to first see and wish the happy couple good luck and watch the proceedings. Next they want to eat. Then they want to have fun by dancing and listening to the music.

So let's show everyone how cheap we are and hire a cheap jerk to DJ the most important day of our lives. You know the part that everyone will remember and talk about forever.

They could be bar owners with that mentality.
michaeljvaughn

Post by michaeljvaughn »

Wow! I've seen some bad displays by KJs, but none like this. I'm surprised none of the singers just went off and clocked 'em.
See/hear the serial version of Michael's karaoke novel, "Outro," at http://www.outronovel.blogspot.com
oneofakind

Post by oneofakind »

Most of the venues I play in want you to keep the sound level down and I have a set of PR-15s and PR-12s both. The PR-15s I went from the 14tx horn to the 22tx horn and its like day light and dark as far as sound goes. The 12s I use in small places. I only use a Behringer 300 RMS watt per side stereo head and that's all the power I need. Most of the clubs around here that are bigger have there house PA and I just use it thus not having to carry as much stuff. I have a bad back and cant lift over 40 lbs. with out lying in bed for a week after. oneofakind