Has any one ever got fired this way?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
oneofakind

Has any one ever got fired this way?

Post by oneofakind »

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum this morning. I have been hosting karaoke for just over a year. And I Just got fired last night on count of the weather here in Illinois. I had been doing this Thurs. night gig for the last 6 months and the only time I had missed it was about a month ago when here in Illinois we had an ice storm and I called in and refused to come in.

Any way yesterday the temp. was 6 above zero with 20 below wind chill and all the schools were closed plus a lot of other local events were canceled. It was mid afternoon and I called the bar owner and asked if he still wanted to go ahead with the show the next night with the weather forecast calling for it to be colder . The Owner got up set with me on the phone and I then told him he was asking me to place my life in danger to be out in 30 below weather, but if he insisted that the show must go on, I would do my best and be there ready and on time. I then hung up the phone . About 9 PM this last evening he called me and told me "dont worry about comming in tomorrow night " and he didnt want to put my life in danger and "he would call me in a month when he needed me" and he hung up the phone. I tried to call him back but he did or would not awncer his phone.

I guess any dummy would take a don't call us we will call you as being fired with out an notice. I get that. What I am wondering now is how do you as professional KJ deal with the situation to make your reputation look good and make this jerk look like the ass he really is. By the way I am the third Karaoke service he has employed with in a year. Please please help me ! This is only the second house job I have had and I'm still doing the first one! any help or advice would be more than welcomed . ONE Of A Kind

michaeljvaughn

Post by michaeljvaughn »

Geez. What a jerk. I hear way too many of these stories. I don't know, it may be best not to even mention the situation to future potential clients, because a seedy thing like that tends to introduce doubt in the client's mind, even though it was obviously totally not your fault. Best of luck in future! And don't take it too hard.
See/hear the serial version of Michael's karaoke novel, "Outro," at http://www.outronovel.blogspot.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

i got a good owner, I guess since last Satyrday there was a snow storm and the owner called me and told me not to try to come in as the last time I called out in bad weather the bar closed early anyway because no one came in to begin with.
oneofakind

Post by oneofakind »

To :michaeljvaughn, Thanks for your reply and I agree with you if your definition as clients means bar owners. How ever I am worried about the following of karaoke singers I have and have made friends with from that venue. I have a list of some of them and sent emails out explaining I was no longer there at that gig and why, and asking for there support. Two of them even called me today. I found out in the conversation with on that I was the fourth KJ/DJ that this bar owner had in his place with in the last year.

To DanG2006 The Friday night gig I have the owners are great! I have showed up some nights when they didn't expect me to and even paid me full price and sent me home early. To bad every bar owner cant be understanding. They say what goes around comes around , I just hope I live long enough to see this guys bar shut down! Thanks for you both replies ONE OF A KIND
oneofakind

Post by oneofakind »

To :michaeljvaughn, Thanks for your reply and I agree with you if your definition as clients means bar owners. How ever I am worried about the following of karaoke singers I have and have made friends with from that venue. I have a list of some of them and sent emails out explaining I was no longer there at that gig and why, and asking for there support. Two of them even called me today. I found out in the conversation with on that I was the fourth KJ/DJ that this bar owner had in his place with in the last year.

To DanG2006 The Friday night gig I have the owners are great! I have showed up some nights when they didn't expect me to and even paid me full price and sent me home early. To bad every bar owner cant be understanding. They say what goes around comes around , I just hope I live long enough to see this guys bar shut down! Thanks for you both replies ONE OF A KIND
michaeljvaughn

Post by michaeljvaughn »

Oh yeah, definitely referring to the bar owner, not the singers. It's always good to keep in good stead with your followers, and it's certainly a good indication that a couple of them took the time to call you.
See/hear the serial version of Michael's karaoke novel, "Outro," at http://www.outronovel.blogspot.com